Saturday, January 11, 2014

Germany Again Awaits

This is Austin speaking. I got locked out of Blogger, so I’m posting my first entry under Aaron’s name.

Hallo to the Bonn Blog once more! I’m Austin Wang, a junior biomedical sciences and psychology major from Houston, TX. I’ll finally be returning to Germany in a matter of days and I’m filled with much excitement and anticipation. This winter vacation flew by very quickly. Too quickly, in fact. I feel like it’s only been a week since final exams. Christmas was the usual, but I felt this year’s New Year’s Eve to be quite different than last year’s. Instead of running around the Festival Mile near the Brandenburg Gate, I was busy recording audition pieces for music festivals. Not exactly a party, to say the least. On that note, I’m really hoping I will have the opportunity to play oboe in Germany. Music is such a large part of the German culture and composers like Brahms, Beethoven, and Mozart have forever shaped classical music. As a student of both the life sciences and music, I’m hoping to integrate both of my interests this semester. But onto pre-trip thoughts.

The last winter trip to Germany was a lot of fun, but it was too short, in my opinion. Although I am not filled with the same uncertainty of traveling to a foreign country, I will finally get the opportunity to truly live and study in another country for a whole semester. It’ll also be cool to see many things for a second time. From what I've heard from other students, study abroad is something that you’ll always remember and never regret. But I am a little nervous about taking classes in Germany, though. I guess we’ll all have to balance fun and studying. Last year, we were in Bonn for less than a week, but this time, it’ll be for a whole semester (minus travel to other countries and trips to Berlin, Vienna, etc.). I’m excited to get to know my host family and perhaps learn some German. I also really want to learn as much as I can about the German health care system; maybe that way I can understand the health care of the US. In addition, I want to shadow the physicians in Bonn. We did that once last winter trip, but it’ll be neat to do more this time around. I don’t think I’ll miss College Station too much, but I’ll miss free water and bathrooms for sure (not to mention drink refills as well). I am, however, very much excited to meet and befriend all of you A&M students who will be traveling with me. I can’t wait to get to know all of you.

Until then, safe travels and I’ll see you in Bonn. Hope you guys all had a great winter holiday.


Austin 

No comments:

Post a Comment