Friday, January 31, 2014

First trip

This Tuesday we went on our first excursion out of town to Koln. The first train ride with the whole group was very loud and I always become aware of how loud Americans must seem to the locals. I certainly hope that we don't appear as ignorant Americans. The train ride was fairly long so I got to talk with a German girl of the train for a bit. Every local German that I've talked to has been very interested and polite and I'm always impressed with just how good everyone's English is.

In Koln we went to the museum of the Nazi gestapo and got to learn a lot of the history of that time period. I know that the world wars are a somewhat sensitive subject but I have found that the Germans are very willing to acknowledge and talk about that time which I find refreshing. Then we went on a city tour and got yummy Berliners!!! Next came the chocolate factory where we got to see how the chocolate was mixed and prepared and then shaped and then packaged. There were even samples!!! Super yum!!!! But the best part of the day was the rooftop tour of the Koln Dom. It was easily one of the more amazing special things I've ever gotten to experience. Every time I go to an famous historical site I always want to go see the behind the scene parts not available to the general public. So the opportunity to take a tour of the rooftops and see the balcony areas of the inner workings of the cathedral was a real treat for me. My first once in a lifetime opportunity of this trip!!! So far this has been the best part of the trip for me, my only regret is that the cathedral was so huge that it really was impossible to capture it in a photograph, but I have my memories. I am so excited for more incredible opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment