Thursday, January 23, 2014

Ich Bin Voller

Ich bin voller - I am full.

I chose this week to write about the vast amount of food that I have eaten since I arrived in Bonn. While in the city, and while at home, it seems that there is a substantially larger focus on food in Germany than in the states. Between almost every shop there is a small bakery or other food vendor, and on most street corners there resides a bratwurst or crepe kart dishing out wonderfully made edibles. At my host home, there is always a mountainous meal prepared for dinner, most of which is placed on my plate by my host mom.

Due to all of this available subsistence, I have been able to try many different foods that are either prepared differently, or simply do not even exist in the states. A couple of days ago I ate at a restaurant that served the most stereotypical German dish that you can think of; it consisted of a fried bratwurst, and "as much sauerkraut as it pleases you to eat." After all I have heard about sauerkraut being gross, I was quite astonished to be pleased by its taste. Among the many other German foods I have had, such as beer, kartofelpuffers, and most importantly, Haribo gummy bears, sauerkraut certainly isn't at the top of the list, but it definitely made a positive first impression!

After a week and a half of almost constant eating, I am beginning to feel quite full. It has been a great week and a half of eating, though, and so I plan to continue this trend as long as I am here! If history is any indication, once training for the Bonn Marathon begins, my appetite should skyrocket, and then maybe I can make some room on my plate for that Berliner I mentioned a couple of weeks ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment