Thursday, January 23, 2014

The adventure begins

This is the first post since I actually arrived in Bonn and I've been so busy here that I haven't actually sat down to think about all of the things that we've done already. Its been unbelievable so far, almost like it isn't truly happening. I feel like I've been here for a month or so when really its only been a little over a week.

The first day we got to AIB to meet our host families for the first time and I really had no idea what to expect. As the group was getting smaller and people were leaving with their new families, I realized that I didn't know how to greet them. I Texas I usually just hug everyone that I meet but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate for a German. We were picked up and taken to our new home. Even though Chase and I were exhausted from the long flight we were absolutely stunned by our welcome and our new family. I think that we got the very best host family possible.

Well the second day was rough as we adjusted to the time difference, as was the third. The folks at AIB took us on several walking tours to help us get our bearings but mostly we wanted to sleep. I have enjoyed walking around the squares and looking in the little shops. So far we have hiked through the hills around Bonn, a beautiful terraced vineyard. Then we went to the dragon mountain with our host family. The nature around Bonn is absolutely stunning and green. All in all I would say I'm ready to move here, that is if I get used to the cold :)

No comments:

Post a Comment