Thursday, January 9, 2014

Let Us Go Then

                Under my bed, at the bottom of what once was a shoebox is a well worn hardback of Jack Kerouac’s “On The Road.”  Dog-eared and notated in a largely unintelligible scrawl, the book is clearly well loved, regularly read, and thoroughly pondered by its owner.  I myself have yet to trudge halfway through it.  The book’s owner, my best friend, and the reason for my laborious reading of a work I have absolutely no emotional resonance with, lists “On the Road” among her all time favorites. 
A fictionalization of the author’s own travels across America, and a defining work of the beat generation, the book addresses many of my own motivations for travel—a desire to expand my experience, a fanciful curiosity, bordering on idealization, of foreign places, a preoccupation with people.  Yet, reading the novel, I often find myself annoyed.  This is due to Sal, the main character’s, pathological avoidance of any kind of responsibility.  Additionally, for a story about his travels and self discovery, Sal is remarkably lacking in a sense of self awareness.
Travel is many things to many people, but I think it is at its best when it is more than the diversion or escape from an unsatisfying life, as is my impression of Sal’s travels, or the simple amusement that many tourists take from it.  Experiencing the unfamiliar has the ability to challenge us in a unique way, one which can bring out the very best or worst of human nature.  With an open mind and a keen understanding of your own perspective, it can provide a wonderful opportunity to learn, to grow, and meet new people who challenge your understanding.  A lack of the same can lead to the fearful or violent reactions which stain the course of history.
  For the next semester, I will be studying abroad in Bonn, Germany.  I go with the same aforementioned motivations I share with Kerouac’s Sal, but with (I hope) a good deal more motivation and perspective.  I go to a part of the world at once familiar and foreign.  Familiar in the roots it has in my own society, the influence it had on my parents when they lived and traveled there, and the continued cultural exchange occurring through both traditional and modern media.   Foreign in the languages spoken, the age and length of its history, the variety and specifics of the cultures, and in so many other ways.
It is difficult to describe my expectations for the trip, as uncertain and incomplete as they are.  Like scattered memories of a profoundly affecting dream, I have in mind more images and impressions than concrete expectations or plans. For as long as I have hoped to participate in this program, the thought of it feels more like fantasy than reality.  Despite knowing my plane departs in less than 48 hours, I haven’t really absorbed that it is actually happening.  Hopefully I do so before I actually arrive.
While my new clothes, travel guides and textbooks lie ready to be packed, procrastination is a tried and true friend that I have yet to successfully rid myself of.  Instead I sit here, putting more effort than is probably warranted into an assignment that isn’t intended to be all that difficult, but writing is familiar to me.  It has always been, more or less, how I work out my thoughts.  Typing is comforting in a way packing is not.  Packing reminds me that for all my lofty and idealistic thoughts, my experiences of even my own small slice of the world are exceptionally narrow.  That while I am, perhaps, an academic citizen of the world, I am not a practical one, and once I stop typing I have to go upstairs and become one.  
Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment