Monday, February 21, 2022

Week 6, Trier aka Karl Marx's hometown

 Week six out of sixteen! And wow time is going by fast! This was one of my favorite weekends but first I will talk about my week. Monday was Valentines day. I wore a red sweater to celebrate. I found out from my host family that Germans do not really celebrate Valentines day in the same way that Americans do. It is not as big of a deal here. I did however go to a flower market and buy myself a bouquet of white flowers. I have really been enjoying these flowers. However, I did not get to celebrate Valentines day since we had our first exam the next day. This brings me to Tuesday. My first BMEN 211 exam. The exam went pretty well. I was, however, extremely stressed for this exam. That evening, we had Galentines. It was very fun. We got hair tinsel from Jules and glitter from Avery. Wednesday, we had our zoom meeting with Endmodes. The meeting went well and they gave us some very good feedback. After, Avery, Isabelle, and I went to a café. I studied for a bit and then went home and napped. Thursday came around and it was quite rough. My chronic procrastination caught up to me. I crammed in a bunch of my SolidWorks assignment. I did finish most of it and then barely had to do any of it Friday which was very nice. On Friday, I finished up the assignment and then after school we were off to Trier.

The Trier trip was full of fun and chaos. To start off on Friday, we got on the train fine. We then accidentally got off one train stop too soon. We had a 20 minute transfer time though and it was a 10 minute walk to the next station so we walked over and made it to our next train. Then on our next train, a tree fell on the tracks and caused us to have 45 minutes worth of delays. This however, was not even the end of it. The public transportation system is not as good in Trier so our best option was a 25 minute walk to our hotel. After making the trek over, we had to do an online check-in. This was more chaotic than the train ride. We could not figure out why it would not upload the picture until we realized that only one of the two required pictures had to be in jpg form. I made the realization that this is why it was not accepting the iphone picture as that would have been in heic. We sat on a bench outside of a holiday inn express and switched over the picture format and were finally able to get the code to access our hotel. Once we got in, with all of our delays, it was 11:30 at night and we did not have any food options near by. We then ordered some dominos online but after 45 minutes, came to the conclusion, it would not be arriving. This had us change routes and find a pizza place called Pizza Town Trier. We ordered two pizzas, a salami and a Hawaiian. It was the best Hawaiian pizza I have ever had.

On Saturday, we woke up and started walking over to the city center. While the lack of transportation was annoying, at least we saved money on transportation. The first thing we saw was the ruins of a Roman bridge. It was huge! It was amazing to stand and look at. After, we headed over tp see the Karl Marx statue since we were in his home town. Next, we headed over to a café that was in a historical building. The building was built during the times were you could not have an entrance on the street so the original door is up higher and would have been accessed via a ladder. After this, we went to check out the church. The church had three different parts that had been built at different parts added together. We went in at a perfect time to see the painted glass being lit up by the sun. It was breathtaking. After, we strolled through a park with Greek statues. They had a lot of the mythological statues. They were quite cool to see. We then headed over the the ruins of a Roman bath house. Outside of the entrance, there was a replica of the foot of the statue of emperor Constantine. It was huge, as tall as me. I then spent the best three euros of this entire trip. We walked in and could see some tunneling below the grass. Immediately, we tried to figure out if there was a way to go down and once we found it, we all got so giddy. We ran around the tunnels exploring them and they were so amazing. We saw the areas of how they created heated pools which is so cool to think that they had the technology to do so. We then came back above and looked at all of the above ground things and just could see how advanced they really were. Avery even shed a tear with how amazed she was. This was one of the highlights of my entire trip. After this, we went and found a burger place to eat at. I tried a big burger, which the waiter judged me for and argued with me for not wanting cheese but that's fine. It was good. It had sauerkraut on it. I had to eat it with a fork and knife but that is how the Germans eat them anyways. After this, I found my normal shampoo and conditioner! Very exciting. We then headed over to Karl Marx's childhood home which was cool to explore. We then walked around town some more and stopped at Coyote Café for some frozen margaritas. They gave us paper straws, per usual, but these literally do not work with frozen drinks. This pushed me to my breaking point and I ordered some metal straws off of amazon. I cannot stand the paper straws. I absolutely hate them. We then headed home and ordered more of the pizza from the night before because it was so good!

Sunday, we woke up early and headed to the train. I got home, started a load of laundry and took a 2.5 hour nap. Then I started some homework, did another load of laundry and watched some Boba Fett. I decided to take the day chill because I needed it and mental health always comes first. This upcoming week I have two tests on Thursday so that will be very stressful. I am very much not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment