Sunday, February 20, 2022

Week 5: Rugen over the weekend

From Berlin, Daniel, Camryn, Jules, and I traveled to Rugen, a small island off the Baltic Sea. We celebrated Jules' 20th birthday by wearing little party hats all day and Daniel cooking a nice, homemade birthday dinner. Rugen is a small, quaint island town with the locals walking their dogs through the neighborhood and on the beach. We went to the beach in the freezing cold and I filled a little jar with sand, sea shells, and sea water for a little keepsake. We grocery shopped for the weekend, since eating out  on Sunday would not be an option. We hiked to the Chalk Cliffs in Jasmund National Park and it was stunning. We watched a mudslide happen right in front of us, and if we hadn't stopped to take pictures just before that, we would've been swimming in the ocean. After a leisurely hike along the cliffs and beach, we saw lighthouses and the fisherman's village. The island of Rugen was one of my favorite places I have been to in Germany. I did not know how geographically diverse this country is and I love it even more, the longer I am here. After a long week of traveling from Berlin to Rugen, I settled back into routine in Bonn and started focusing on school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment