Monday, February 21, 2022

More Chaos In My Travels

 The thing about traveling with me is there will never be a dull moment. I don't know if I attract chaotic energy from the universe but things don't always go smoothly, however, they do end up working out in the end. This past week/weekend was one of those times. 

After a weekend of staying home in Bonn I became stir-crazy and decided to travel the next weekend. The only problem is that I have a test tomorrow and traveling this weekend was probably not the *wisest* move, but hey, I'm here for the experience. I booked a train to Trier for me, Emily, and Isabelle for Friday night. Once Friday came around there was a huge wind storm that had been wreaking havoc for about a week and I worried it would affect our train ride. Well... at our first stop of the journey we accidentally got off on the wrong train station and then had to book it all the way through town to the next train station we were supposed to be at while the gale force winds tried to knock us down. Luckily we had 20 minutes between stops but it was still a trek. Once we got there we realized it was a splitting train. One half would go to Frankfurt and the other, Trier, except for the life of us we could not figure out what side went where and had two minutes to decide. For the longest time we didn't even know if it was our train because the name didn't match up. The good news is we guessed right and ended up on the correct side and a nice man helped us along the way. However!!! Along this train ride a tree fell in the middle of the tracks which caused a huge delay in our time. By the time we got to Trier it was 9:30 pm. We figured most restaurants would be closed so we got provisions at a store nearby. Then we started our 23 minute walk to our hotel through a sketchy part of town. When outside our warehouse looking hotel we couldn't tell where it was located, only one door was the entrance. We soon realized it needed a code to get in and didn't have an actual front desk worker like I thought. So I checked the email and realized I had to fill out an entire check in form. After multiple attempts at trying to submit it, mind you we were outside in the windy cold with only 9% battery left, we realized one of the documents I had to upload needed to be a jpeg and not whatever the iPhone saves it as. So I had to pull out my iPad, open two apps, convert the file, save it, and airdrop it to Emily so she could upload it on her phone since she now had the login. It finally worked and we got in the hotel room after 30 minutes of panicking. 

The next day was much more calm. We explored the Porta Nigra, drank coffee in a historical building, saw a giant church that the Emperor Constantine had built that was blended in 4 different styles later on, got to see Roman bathhouse ruins where Isabelle and I had a moment of near tears from thinking about lost history and how advanced parts of antiquity were. Then we ended up at the Karl Marx house because Trier was his hometown, and ended the day at a random restaurant/bar situation where we attempted to drink frozen margaritas out of paper straws. It did not go well. In total it was a fun day trip with some bumps along the way but it all worked out. I still have this physiology exam tomorrow that I have no studied for enough so thats a bit of a point of concern but whatever. I also realize I haven't discussed much of my Berlin trip from a couple of weeks ago but maybe when I have time to reminisce I can make a good story out of it. 

Soundtrack of the week: Virginia (Wind In The Night) by The Head And The Heart

Keep it Cool,

Avery 

No comments:

Post a Comment