Monday, February 7, 2022

Second Week in Bonn - January 23rd

The last few weeks have been quite interesting in the way that we are not only traveling and seeing new places, but we are also working to complete our classes successfully. The first days were a bit difficult for me since the time change was very hard, and I had never felt as sleepy as in my first days of class, but after the first week everything felt much better. On our visit to Cologne, we took a tour of the city, and my favorite quote from the tour guide was “People were digging up the earth to build new buildings and by accident they came across old walls built by the Romans many years ago”. I love knowing that every historical building in the city was found by accident! Also, we went to a house built by the Nazis where they imprisoned Jewish people, and I think what struck me the most about this place were the small cells that were in the basement and the handwriting of the people who remained there. This experience made me feel very sad, because these places reflect the cruel reality that those Jews lived during this time including the great effort that each of them made to survive. Finally, we took a tour of the Cologne Cathedral, and I can say that my favorite part was the beautiful view of the entire city at night. It was interesting to go through the small passageways to get from one side to the other inside and outside the cathedral. After a great adventure, it is best to come home to eat a hot dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment