Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Don't Wear Docs in Berlin

 I have returned a weary traveller, and in that weariness I learned two days ago that I have an exam today in my Genetics class. I have never been surprised by a test before and now have to scramble in my physical and mental recovery to cram for this test so I don't fail. 

Anywho, a few days ago I returned from Hamburg, and before that, Berlin. It's been a long week full of big cities. I was so excited to go back to Berlin and it did not disappoint. In total I think I saw 7 museums, which is a new record for me in the course of 3 days. After the first though there was a slight problem. And that was the fact that my feet felt like I was walking on sharp rocks and had skin falling off my ankles. I only brought my docs because no other shoes would fit in the bag. To be able to keep up with the 8+ miles we were walking every day I had to buy new tennis shoes. The pain slowly alleviated after that, but I was so mad at myself for taking away the fun and beauty of the city due to the pain I felt when walking. At least I know for next time. 

Hamburg was an interesting city but not my favorite. I couldn't figure out the layout and the main parts were very spread out and not entirely intriguing. This could be a harsh critique but it needed to happen at some point since I've loved everywhere else I've been to. We shopped around and went to a smaller neighborhood called Karoviertel which was a cool street to be on to find vintage pieces and eclectic art. We were supposed to wake up at 5 am the next morning to go to the Fish Market, but our sleep was so good after a week of traveling and walking that we ended up waking up at 9 am and catching our train an hour later. I had all Monday to recharge and do chores which has been a long time coming. I think I will just rest this week. 

-Avery 

No comments:

Post a Comment