Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Rhineland's 5th season

Wow, Karneval was so much wow. I am pleased that I'm finally doing typical activities expected of a study abroad experience in Germany. Karneval is honestly the most perfect celebration I can imagine. Free candy, parades, costumes, music, and beer combined make for a beautiful and memorable few days. I went to Cologne on Friday and had one of the best days I've ever had in my life. The whole day was beautiful weather, I met so many people and had wonderful, fun conversations with people from all around the world. I was entertained by seeing everyone's costume and the live performers on the street. I love how all of the usually stoic and neutral Germans are suddenly very friendly, happy, and colorful. I feel as though I really had a cultural experience and I now understand the people of the Rhineland more thoroughly.

The break from school was quite nice as well. I participated in zero strictly academic activities for the last 6 days, but I still learned a lot! I had some physiology lessons in how my body processes alcohol, some math lessons in the trajectory of flying candy bars from moving vehicles as my head was hit several times, and most importantly some life lessons that are too complex to explain here in this little blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment