Wednesday, February 11, 2015

It's only been two weeks!

I've been in four countries in two and a half weeks. That's hard to imagine.
I flew from the States to Germany on January 27th, then a week after that I was in Austria, and then Hungary, and then finally back to Germany. I still have a hard time believing that I'm actually doing this! Needless to say, the past few weeks have been full of new experiences for me.

Vienna was a beautiful city with lots of culture and history evident in the architecture on every street. It all seemed to harken back to royalty and times when Sirs and Dukes road carriages through the streets. I got to experience things that also felt "royal" like Cafe Demel and the Spanish Horse Riding School. On the medical side of things, I never thought I'd be underground in the catacombs with bones that were hundreds of years old, or walking through a thoroughly disgusting exhibit of pathological wax models and specimens, such as a literal head in a jar. Hopefully, that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Budapest was ruled by Austria for a while, so many of its buildings also feel fit for royalty, but Budapest's culture and even architecture have a bit of grit to them. Budapest has a very unique history and I thought that it was almost obvious by the feel and look of the city that it is a bit different than any other European city I've ever seen. The views of the city from the Buda (hilly) side of the Danube River were incredible, but another highlight for me was sitting in a coffee shop for a few hours enjoying delicious food and drink and watching the city go by. I liked Budapest because I was intrigued by its culture and people, but I could not quite figure them out.

I'm tired from all my traveling, but I'm excited to see where I go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment