Monday, February 2, 2015

Brain tickling

I have finally begun to reach the level of intellectual stimulation I desired! I went to the theatre performance by Loyal Marymount University at the AIB on Friday night and it was the most uncomfortable I have been since I visited a Masaii warrior tribe when I was 10 years old and the Masaii men jumped and swung their hair in my face as a part of their ritualistic dancing ceremony. I think being put far outside of my comfort is a necessary and positive thing, so it was actually fun to watch this strange performance that I didn't fully comprehend because my perspective on what is acceptably "normal" has expanded. On Saturday, I continued the stretching of my perspective by going to a modern art museum called the Kunst Museum in Bonn. One piece at the exhibit is difficult to describe through words, but made me feel such strong emotions, I want to be sure to never forget. As an engineer, I struggle with the lack of functionality of art. I realized though that the purpose of art is to evoke emotion, and I felt strong and inexplicable reaction to this particular piece of art. Basically, there was a small room made of plywood that you entered and darkness immediately enveloped you. As your eyes adjust, there are lines of light that move and occasionally intersect, all while there is soft music playing. I felt disconnected from my body as I experienced this piece of art and it was wonderful to view myself from a distant perspective.

On a more regimented intellectual note, classes are also starting to become challenging, which is exciting! I've even been reading for pure enjoyment, which is something that I haven't done for years but is extremely satisfying.

Hoping this upward trend continues! I am so excited for future travels as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment