Monday, February 23, 2015

Amsterdam

It probably seems like I say this about everywhere, but I swear that I mean it this time: Amsterdam is my favorite city ever. I love how every street with the colorful houses, cobble stones, and canals is distinctly Amsterdam. There is a relaxed, eclectic vibe that pervades the whole city. It is also extremely tourist-friendly, but not so much that I feel like I'm at Disney World. Simply walking through the city brought me surprising joy. The Van Gogh museum was the most enjoyable museum I've ever been in. We waited outside in line for over an hour in cold rain, but having the opportunity to see artwork that is so iconic and famous was so worth it. Learning about Van Gogh's personal life was also fascinating and I am beginning to understand why certain artists become hugely famous while so many others stay relatively unknown and unappreciated forever. We went to a modern art museum called the Stedelijk museum on Sunday and it was such a contrast to the Van Gogh. I am starting to develop a greater understanding and appreciation of art. I see that art is emotional expression- necessary and pervasive in every culture and society. I am always so inspired at art museums. I now have a desire to create my own art which I will hopefully explore when I have resources. The Anne Frank house was also very impactful. It's interesting because I actually went to the Anne Frank house when I was 12, but it was much more meaningful this time because I have better historical context.

I am learning so much about how to function as an efficient and happy person from all of this traveling and diverse human interaction. I haven't developed any concrete life mottos yet, but I have a growing sense of how to have a higher base line of contentedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment