Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Amsterdam




A couple of my peers and I decided take a train and stay in Amsterdam for the Carnival weekend.  Because I enjoyed the free city tour in Budapest I thought that doing one in Amsterdam would be a good idea. Our tour guide Rocco was enthusiastic and very well educated about the city (hence why he is a tour guide), but at some point in the tour he warns us that taking pictures is not allowed in that area. At first I was very confused and didn’t know what he was referring to, but as soon as we walked through the alley and I glared to the side…. I had enterd the red light district in broad daylight! I know Amesterdam is famous for this , but to actually be there and see these women displayed on the windows was unbelievably uncomfortable for me.  It was a cultural experience alright! Another thing that shocked me was the countless signs of cannabis around the city shops. I wasn’t sure if I was going into a caffee or a “coffee shop”. Nonetheless,  I enjoyed being in amsterdam and my favorite part of the trip was visiting the Anne Frank House. Although I found many parts of the meseum sad because of the subject matter, I also found her story inspirational. It was touching to hear actress  Emma Thompson say, “The only thing we have to remember is: all her would-haves are our real possibilities”, at the end of the tour in the video room.



No comments:

Post a Comment