Friday, July 14, 2017

Wishing I was still in Germany

Everyone always asks me, "How was Germany?" and all that I conjure up to say is "Amazing." Every single time that it what I say. I've found this is the easiest response for people, because if I tell them how Germany really was they will get so tired of hearing me talk that they will hate me. I have never had a better and more fun experience than what I had in Germany. I always knew that I loved traveling and wanted to see the world, but sorry mom and dad, you paid for a trip that makes me never want to go home again.

While there were many experiences in Germany and throughout Europe that in themselves were spectacular, it was the everlasting impression they made me that really matters. I learned to have a greater appreciation of art and music that I had never had. I found out my favorite artist wasn't really my favorite but I just didn't know any better. I was more adventurous when it came to trying new things and being bold. I saw that the human body does have limits and we shouldn't push them. I realized that even if something seems crazy, or you don't think you have the money, you should always do it because the regret of not doing something is much more to bare. I learned that you don't have to understand the language that people are speaking to make a connection and feel something from them. And I learned that throughout everything, the people that you are surrounded by make the most difference in the experience you are having.

I was lucky enough to be surrounded by an incredible group of friends and the most amazing host family I could've ever asked for while I was in Germany. It was the strong support system that I think everyone needs to be able to travel halfway around the world and truly enjoy the experience. I always had people to talk to and spend time with. My host family was so kind to me and so accepting, they did anything they could to help me at all times, even getting up and driving me and my friends to the train station at 6 in the morning. It was so much more than I could've ever asked for and I will forever be appreciative of them. My friends, oh my goodness, while I was in Germany I met the biggest, most fun loving group of nerds I could've ever asked for. I didn't expect the friends that I would make in Germany to get super close but I was wrong. We were a huge loving family and tried to help each other in any possible. I spent many days at the AIB from around 7 in the morning to around 11 at night and everyone else was there too. We worked together and it made all the time we had to spend on school work seem a little more manageable.

A lot of times after I answer the first question, it is followed up by "Would you go back?" and sometimes I have to hold my tongue a little to keep from hurting peoples' feelings. I would have never came home if that would've been an option. And I would get on the first plane I could today if it didn't seem so unreasonable. I loved the country and loved the people. I am already planning a trip back for next summer but I know it won't be enough. I am going to live over there one day, I don't know if it will be in Germany, maybe somewhere slightly warmer but I really want to fully immerse myself in the culture someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment