Friday, July 14, 2017

A Dream that Became Reality - A Retrospective View


I could start with the typically cliché, I miss Germany and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about something that occurred during the time I spent there, which of course is all true, or I could tell you about the dream I had that became reality.

Every since my first taste of Europe back during my sophomore year of high school, I knew I would find myself across the ocean again. And I ended up venturing back twice before I started college, but my biggest dream was to be able to truly study abroad for a semester. This dream became a reality with the journey I just took to Germany for four months.

It's not everyday you can turn your dreams into reality and be able to live and experience them full heartedly. Germany is a part of my life that I will never forget, despite the fact that having been back for about two months now, it feels as though the whole trip was a dream. But then I see a picture, or remember a moment and know, it was not a dream. It was my reality.

From this trip I learned a great deal about the world and the people who live in it. I took the path down the hero's journey and prevailed. Sure I brought back many trinkets and photographs of my experiences but the greatest treasure had to be the people, the experiences, and the memories I get to cherish. Each person I met along the way has taught me something, either small or large, positive or negative. One of the most influential people, besides my professors, who I saw practically everyday all day, was my host mother. From her I learned to find joy in the small things in life. For her, she loved nature, birds, and plants and the joy that would radiate from her when she saw new flower bloom in her garden, or when we went on runs, and she got to show me a new plant or bird species, was contagious. I couldn't help but always smile and also find the joy in the little things. She was someone I could talk to and connect with, and I am extremely thankful for having her as my host mother. No one else could have compared.

The new friends I made on this trip are irreplaceable. We will forever be connected by this experience, and maybe not all of us got along at times, but I feel this trip brought us together, creating a small family. It saddens me to know, we all now have to follow or own paths and won't be spending every waking moment with one another, but that won't stop us from rekindling the bond we have created through our study abroad experiences. Each person had taught me a lesson on the trip and I will remember each and every person without a doubt.

As for the traveling I got to do, there is nothing like being able to hop on a bus, train, tram, or subway and go anywhere. There's a certain freedom you feel when the world is your limit and all it takes is a couple of train rides to get there. Sadly, the US has failed in the department of public transportation and cross country transportation. Today I spent thirty minutes waiting in the heat for a bus to take me home from the grocery store. I don't own a car so getting around had become a real struggle in College Station. I no longer have the freedom to travel where I want, when I want. I am limited to my own two feet and the occasional bus. While in Germany I was free. I ended up traveling to seven countries and twenty-four cities, something that could have been possible here in Texas if there was a system in place that would allow me to do so.

I have to say, as of lately I've been craving German food. I could really use a currywurst or pom doner at times. At some point this summer, I plan on replicating currywurst. Wish me luck. The food I got to try has influenced me in the kitchen. I've learned about new ways to prepare certain meals either from my host mother or from the various foods I tried while traveling all around. I truly miss European food.

My dream had become a reality and now feels as though it was a dream. I'm back in College Station trying to survive through summer school and part me feels like this is the break and I will be returning to Germany again, but then I realize, come this fall, I won't be going back. I will be here at Texas A&M for the rest of my undergrad years. It saddens me to think about this, fore I want to travel more and experience what else this world has to offer. Eventually, I'll make my way across the water again, either for vacation, a job, or medical school. Through this experience I have learned more about myself and feel as though it has changed me in a way. I can't explain fully how this so, but there is something that feels different. Only time will tell what this transformation truly is.

I know for a fact, that traveling is a part of me I can't abandon that. I am back in reality and am ready to push forward so that one day, I may return to Europe again, but sometimes I can't help but think, was that the reality and this is the dream? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment