Thursday, July 13, 2017

In A Nutshell

During the spring semester, I had one of the best experiences of my life where I grew as a person in both academics and knowledge of the world. I am so grateful for the opportunity to study in Germany and recommend it to anyone who is interested in studying abroad. What attracted me the most to this program was the promise of working with a company to design a medical device, and although it was difficult, I am proud that I pushed myself to take the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone. At the beginning of the semester, I was nervous about how I would survive in a foreign country, but I soon realized that there was nothing to fear. I noticed how much more independent I was becoming by living on my own with a host family. The host family I was with was incredibly helpful and kind, which made my daily life so much easier. What surprised me the most while I was abroad was the ease of public transportation. Whether it was a bus, train, or subway, I could get from my house to my destination which made traveling from place to place a breeze. This also meant that the transportation pass we received at the beginning of the semester is worth more than gold. I am also glad that we could travel over the weekends to visit other cities and countries in Europe. It has broadened my idea of society and culture in these other countries getting me one step closer to my final goal of being a world citizen. I also appreciate the physiology and history of medicine courses taught by Dr. Wasser which explained procedures, instruments, and medicines that we got to see on our excursions to other cities and the Uniklinikum in Bonn. One of the most notable memory I have of this trip was when I was speaking with another student as she looked across the Charles Bridge, in Prague, and mentioned how far we are from home. I turned to her and said that the goal of this trip is to make the world our home, and after this study abroad experience I think that I did accomplish that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment