Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The World Traveler

        As soon as I arrived back in Texas I realized I had a new nickname assigned to me "The World Traveler". I was not upset by the nickname in any means it was actually quite fitting. While abroad I got to see ten different countries and to many cities to count.
        Looking back on the study abroad I am blown away how it truly did change my life. I have noticed many differences since I have been home. I would say that I am a million times more adaptable to situations. I use to be the person who would get so upset and worked up when plans just didn't go as I wanted them to. However, while abroad I sure learned that sometimes plans change (a lot of the time actually), but you just have to remain calm and find alternatives.
        Another aspect where I have noticed I am different is the fact that I see the beauty in things I have overlooked for so long. While abroad I was able to see the most incredible things like the Eiffel Tower, Mont Blanc (the tallest mountain in Europe), snowfall in Vienna, and so many others. I have lived in San Antonio for 21 years now and have completely overlooked how beautiful it is also. I was driving through downtown the other day and was blown away by the architecture of all the old buildings and churches, of course they have nothing on the Koln cathedral, but I was still in utter shock. I truly feel now that I am a tourist everywhere I go. I take everything in instead of just driving by and not taking in how incredible things are.
         One of my main worries of my study abroad was that when I would return home everything would be so different with my family and friends and that I would have missed out on so much. Although I will say I did miss out on a couple things like birthdays, Easter, and some other family events when I returned home not much had changed. I easily fell back in my routines here and my family was still in theres. I was excited to see all my friends, but I was even more excited to tell everyone of the friends I have gained. Everyone on this study abroad truly impacted me and my life in one way or another. I was truly blessed to get to know and love every single person. I was worried that I would go on this trip not knowing anyone and end up not getting close or gaining friendships with anyone, but that was the complete opposite. Now that I find myself home I am missing my family that I left in Germany and constantly thinking back to all the fun memories that were made there.
          The one thing I am most grateful for was the ability to learn some German. I had told my grandpa who has been on hospice since the trip that he had to wait till I got home so we could talk in German together. Well he did and we sure did have a nice conversation in German and I could tell it sure made his heart happy. Of course we had to sing Jesus Loves Me a million times in German too. Even yesterday at his funeral I knew he was smiling down as me and some of the others in the congregation sang Jesus Loves Me in German. Although I can't say I am fluent by any means in German I sure did learn enough to get me by.
         Looking back on the semester I am so glad I decided to take this hero's journey. I am surprised how much it has changed me and shaped me into the person I now am two months from returning. I am no longer afraid of change I now embrace it and take it by the horns. I can now say that I am no longer as dependent on others because I found that I can believe in myself and that I can get by on my own. I now have a pair of glasses that see the world for what it is and not just ones that don't stop and see the beauty in this place. I now completely have a new found respect for individuals who are visiting or moving to a foreign country. Most importantly I am now a different person and a better one at that thanks to this incredible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment