Monday, April 20, 2015

Please Mind The Gap

My weekend in London was extremely enjoyable. I checked a few things off of my bucket list, including seeing all of the tourist highlights like Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and Kensington Gardens, among others. I also walked through Portobello Market and ate lunch at Borough Market. I took my Beatles picture on Abbey Road and wrote my name on the wall of Abbey Road Studios. One of my personal highlights was going to see the flat where they film BBC’s Sherlock. Another big one for me was Shakespeare’s Globe Theater, which is now a replica of the one that burned down, but it was built as close to the original as possible, including the lack of screws or other hardware.

I think London was one of my top most enjoyable cities I’ve been to on this trip. The people were all extremely friendly and helpful. The Underground was the most lively public transport system I’ve experienced thus far in Europe. Everyone was talking with their friends, and enjoying themselves. This was quite a contrast to the quiet and reserved atmosphere I’ve experienced on most public transportation. London seemed full of life and full of history. It also was most like to America in national pride. Most of the European countries I’ve been to don’t display a lot of national pride, but England does. They are proud of their Queen and Country! And you will recognize it.


“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” – Dr. Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment