Thursday, January 27, 2022

Week Two!

    
    This week I almost missed touring one of the most beautiful cathedrals I've ever seen for math class. Fortunately, the professor got back to us right as the train was arriving at the station and let us know it was cool to miss class (shoutout Prof. JD Kim). The tour of the Cologne Cathedral was definitely the highlight of my week, but also one of the scariest parts of my week. I personally was not a fan of the elevator going to the top that exists in the scaffolding around the outside of the Cathedral. Something about elevators that shake and make loud noises as they bring you 60 meters in the air is truly unsettling. Nevertheless, the journey to the top of the cathedral was worth it, and the view of Cologne from the top was breathtaking. 

    Over the weekend, four of us went to Munster, and went to the Stadtmuseum Munster. It showed the history of Munster from its beginnings to the present day. The museum was amazing and there were so many beautiful paintings and items from throughout the city's history, but it's a little bit difficult  to learn everything when all the information panels are in German. We also walked through three different churches, which I've found to be my favorite part of exploring the different cities in Germany. Never in my life has my camera roll been so full of pictures of churches. On Sunday we walked to the Allwetterzoo and also to the Munster Castle. The castle was very pretty, but a large portion of the front was covered for construction. The zoo was so much fun, and we got to sit and watch the seals in training for their shows. Just before heading home from Munster, Nate realized he had purchased train tickets for 6:30 am instead of 6:30 pm, not realizing that the tickets were scheduled and sold in military time, so we had to scramble to repurchase tickets or opt to get on the next train at three in the morning. 

    I did attempt laundry for the first time this week, and I have to say I miss my dryer at home. My jeans are rigid after drying, and my tendencies to procrastinate on chores don't work very well with the long dry time required for air drying clothes. One thing I do really enjoy is how good the tap water is here. But I suppose compared to College Station tap water, anything would be much better. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment