Friday, January 28, 2022

castles and no money

Word of advice. Don't try to apply for grad school while you are in Germany. You will be in for a rough time and a lot of last-minute essay editing. At least, that has been the case for me for the past 3 weeks. Here I am in Heidelberg trying to soak up the history and sights but at night I am frantically editing essays and trying to get my applications in by the due date. I don't think having this extra work has taken away from the experience of it all, but it does add more stress and less sleep. 

Enough of that complaining, today I got to see a castle that was originally built in 1213. The ruins were beautiful and it made me wish to see what it was like in all its glory with court in full force and people moving around as they would have back then. I guess I have period pieces to thank for that but I want more. Going to these places on your own allows for freedom of movement and decision making, but I find without a tour guide or someone there who knows the history, the buildings and sights don't quit hit its mark as much. 

The food is still amazing, but at this point I'm beginning to feel stressed about how much a meal costs every time I buy one. Back home I rarely ate out, and if I did it would be on a weekend and just for dinner. But when traveling you usually eat 2-3 meals which can really add up. 

Tomorrow I'm going to Cochem to see another castle. It's a fairly small town (I suspect) so hopefully I won't get any more blisters from walking or have to pay extra for transportation like I have had to do for the past few days. 

Peace out,

Avery 

No comments:

Post a Comment