Monday, January 24, 2022

Week two, Cologne and Munster

 It feels like forever ago looking back at Monday of this past week. On Monday, all we did was have class and it was a pretty relaxed day. On Tuesday, we took a day trip to Cologne. The way to Cologne was very stressful as three of us were very concerned that we would have to leave early to make it back for out first Math 308 class, but it worked out and we were able to contact the professor and stay. The professor actually did not contact us back to let us know we could stay until we were on the platform to head back by train and the train was pulling up so he had amazing timing. In Cologne, we did a walking tour, went to a museum in a building where the Gestapo had previously been, and then climbed the cathedral. On Wednesday, we had school and I attempted laundry for the first time. Sadly, the dryer was not open when I was doing it and I had to hang my clothes which left them slightly stiff. On Thursday, we had more class and I stayed after and did homework and did not have time to do more laundry. On Friday, I started my laundry before I left for class and then was able to dry it when I got back. This laundry was much softer than the laundry I left to hang. I also made dinner for two classmates, Isabelle and Nate.

I travelled this weekend with a group of four others to Munster. On Saturday, we went in three different churches. We then went into a museum about the history of Munster. It was very cool but all in German. We then went back to our Airbnb to put our stuff down. We tried to go to a German restaurant but you had to have a reservation so we went to a Mexican food restaurant. The food was horrible and drinks over priced. We ended up going back to our Airbnb and met up with three others from our group while they waited for their train. On Sunday, we walked to the palace and garden and then to the zoo. The walk was exhausting. We stopped and ate at the zoo restaurant. We then walked around the zoo for a while before bussing back to town. We then stopped for dinner at a bowl place. At dinner, Nate realized he bought the tickets for 06:30 instead of 18:30, not realizing it was military time and we had to repurchase tickets. We then made it home and I immediately fell asleep in bed.

A big difference I noticed in Munster was how many less people spoke English than do in Bonn. It made it a little harder to order and communicate at shops and such. We powered through though. I have a new item to add to my list of things that are starting to annoy me. I used to find the emergency siren cute but it is starting to really annoy me. First off, I swear they have no correct training on usage and second, it is so repetitive that it is just getting on my nerve. Now my list has come to three. The water, the bathrooms (paying), and the sirens. I will see how that list changes week by week.

No comments:

Post a Comment