Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Beginning of a Fun Semester

My first week in Germany has been life-changing and it's only been a week. I have already learned more about the culture and the way of German living by being here than I could ever get from reading a book or articles about this place. Now the first week has been a week of many many culture shocks and things to get used to. To list a few the first culture shock I inquired about and keep inquiring is the mandatory asking of my covid card and passport to prove identification everywhere I go, back home Texans would have a fit if someone asked to see their CDC card and proof of identification, I'm not saying it's not a good thing Germany requires this but it is different than what I'm used to. Another thing is how Germans or just Europeans, in general, are so eco friendly, everywhere I have gone so far has been by train or bus, there are multiple waste containers for all kinds of recycling, most people only take few minute showers, the list could go on, back in college station there isn't even a recycling plant for simple things. Another thing I found a little bit of a shock to was that there are no drive-throughs over here, or if there are I haven't seen any yet. But honestly, I think that is a great concept to not have in a country, the lack of drive thrus promotes a healthier lifestyle, if people want fast food they have to go through the inconvenience of parking, getting out of the car and going inside to order, it's not as to get unhealthy food over here, if America adopted this simple idea we could prevent so many health problems that arise from the fast-food lifestyle.


Aside from the culture shocks, the first week here was pretty great. We have gotten to see a lot of Bonn and gone on some really cool little field trips. The hike with Dr.Wasser was pretty great and seeing the cathedral at the top of the hill was really cool. All of the classmates have gotten to explore a little of the nightlife here at a few pubs and that has been fun, and the food has been amazing so far. We are going to Cologne tomorrow and I really look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment