Monday, March 16, 2015

#SB2k15

Ayy carumba! This was absolutely the most memorable and eventful spring break I’ve ever had and perhaps will remain as the superlative for the rest of my existence. Four plane rides in 9 days necessarily led to a large amount of time spent at the airport, but I have learned to enjoy my time hanging out at hubs for mass transportation. 

Too many events happened for me to chronologically take you through my trip, so I think I would prefer to just briefly muse about the major observations and lessons I learned from the traveling experience.

I am in the process of learning to enjoy hanging out with myself. This is a challenge because my personality is such that I am inclined to avoid being alone the majority of the time. I suffer from a fear of missing out and gnawing loneliness too often, but on this trip I spent a lot of time with just my thoughts in my brain bouncing around and learned that it’s not so bad. I don’t think my personality changed or will change any time soon, but I think being happy alone is a behavior I can learn through practice. This was actually a large goal for me on this whole study-abroad adventure, so I am thankful that my spring break allowed me to practice being independent. Specific highlights of my trip that are examples of this movement towards personal dependence:
  • Barcelona Beer Festival: I enjoyed walking around this beautiful nirvana of yeast, barley, hops, and hipsters and observing people immensely. It is so fascinating to imagine what brings people from all over the world to a beer festival in Barcelona. 
  • Prado Museum in Madrid: I felt as though I got to interact with the characters inside the paintings as I slowly made my way through this gigantic and extremely famous art museum. Spending time at an art museum alone feels like swimming in an ocean; at first overwhelming until I realize that I can float and passively soak up the sun and vitamin D!
  • Park Guell: climbing approximately 9.39 million flights of stairs and exploring this wonderfully artistic sanctuary made me feel sort of invisible, but in a cool ninja-like way. 
  • Botannical Gardens in Madrid: I took one of the nicest naps of my life on bench next to a picturesque flowerbed of red roses. A nap I will always remember!
  • Buen Retiro Park in Madrid: I spent a blissful period of time basking in the sun, listening to the trickle of a little waterfall and the melancholy melodies of a solo trumpeter while drinking in the sun that was as refreshing as a cool glass of sangria.
  • Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona: The most colorful cathedral I could imagine. I had a minor spiritual experience as my brain was so completely taken aback by the beauty of the light and colors. I felt closer to God than I have in a significant amount of time. 


I had so many other wonderful experiences and learned so many lessons on this trip. I imagine I will continue to realize what I learned far into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment