Monday, March 30, 2015

Of course that would happen to me!



We finally attended one of the events I was most excited about... OBSERVING SURGERIES! Our class met up around 6:50am at the bus stop and headed towards the Uniklinik. I had skipped breakfast but thought nothing of it, although our professor had clearly stated that we should have something to eat before meeting up. Once we arrived to the clinic we were given protective garments and scrubs to enter our designated surgery room. Everything was going well, the surgeon was performing a simple procedure on a small child. The child had several enlarged polyps in his throat, which were obstructing his airway and needed to be removed. The surgery was over within 30 minutes and the next patient was brought in soon after. I wanted to make sure I was out of the surgeons way but could still get a really good view of the surgery. Once I felt comfortable enough I walked towards the nurses that were standing at the end of the room.

“Excuse me, if by any chance I need to go to the bathroom between surgeries……………..”


Seconds after fainting I opened my eyes and found myself surrounded by nurses.
"Did you eat?" asked one of the nurses. 


I was so embarrassed all I wanted to do was get up quickly and pretend it never happened. 


But of course that was impossible! 



Quickly after a medical school student walked with me to the lunchroom and made sure I had something to eat and drink before reentering the surgery room. She was so nice and comforting....
"Don't worry about what happened in there, it happens to everyone I promise". I gained strength and courage and decided to walk into the surgery room. I couldn't pretend it didn't happen but I did not let it get in the way of my learning. The look on the anesthesiologist face was purely sympathy, and after the incident he made sure that during every surgery I interacted more. I had the opportunity to learn new skills and am very thankful for the opportunity. In no way was my situation ideal, but I don't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment