Monday, March 30, 2015

Half of my Berlin Trip

Berlin and Dresden

Optimally, I’d be writing every day, I know. I hope I don’t look back on this trip and regret how little I write, but at the same time I’ve felt like I barely even have time to breathe! I’m currently watching videos about grammar for my writing class and attempting to have a coherent thought line at the same time..I don’t know if it’s working. We have five Biochemistry lectures in three days time this week. We have a paper due on Friday. I also have no clean clothes from our extensive traveling last week so there’s that. Life feels a little chaotic right now, but I’m hoping that tonight will be a good chance to regroup and feel a little more organized about everything.

This past week, we went to Berlin, Dresden, and Prague. Even thinking back over the cities is amazing, because I don’t think the significance of the history, people, and locations start to sink in until after you’ve come back home. Berlin is the epitome of a city that has a huge, unique history that truly stares you in the face and demands analysis and reflection. We walked through the city to the very steps of the building where Hitler often rallied his Nazi troops. Even some of the buildings themselves were intentionally reconstructed with the original bullet-riddled stones, proudly displaying their battle scars like Berlin itself. We also walked past some still-standing pieces of the wall, and walked through Brandenburg gate like the East Germans did when they were finally reunited with the West. And even as beautiful as the historical sites were the modern ones—the Reichstag, the capitol building of Germany, has an open glass roof where Germans can watch the Bundestag (parliament) and make sure the government knows that the people hold them accountable. The cranes litter the skyline, showing that reconstruction from the war and communism is still occurring even today.

The first day, we went on a bike tour through the city and saw most of these fantastic sights. I, of course, was a big klutz and fell off my bike standing still…fortunately, I’ve mastered the tuck and roll (thank you horseback riding!) so apparently it looked “graceful”. I don’t believe it, but I’ll take it! And also Hazel ran into a car so I don’t feel as bad. J We also had to take a physiology test in the hotel room that night, which was also a new and unique experience. It was actually an ok testing environment, although definitely not ideal. What can you do, though?

The second day, we took a trip out to Dresden. This absolutely beautiful, lavish city was actually completely decimated during World War II, with ~10% of buildings remaining available for use after the bombing. But, with brilliant foresight, the Germans realized their precious city was probably going to be bombed and had photographed many streets before the decimation. So, after the war, Dresden was pieced back together based off the pictures! Some of the “old-fashioned” apartments in the main square are actually a Disney-esque front with modern amenities on the inside, but the church and palace grounds were totally reconstructed and look great. The Dresdner Schloss is the oldest building in Dresden and absolutely beautiful. We learned about how the emperors would often marry for blood and then have a totally culturally acceptable mistress that would actually host significant royal events and help manage the castle. One even earned her own palace because she was such an awesome mistress! And then it was really awesome to marry the king’s mistress, so when the king got tired of his mistress she definitely had some fallback options. I guess it was a good profession, if you’re into that kind of thing. I also really liked this mural, the “Procession of Princes”, that was on one of the castle walls outside of the jousting area. The mural showed a history of all the rulers of Dresden by them parading chronologically on majestic horses (of course that’s why I liked it). It was originally a fresco but that washed off the building with the sun and rain. So, the mural was repainted on Meissen porcelain, hand painted, then re-glazed. The best part about a glazed porcelain mural is….heat won’t destroy it. So the mural actually survived the WWII incendiary bombs. I’m glad, because it would have been a shame to lose such a work of art. We also ate at a very authentic-style German restaurant that was built in an old gunpowder room type of thing. I had puff pastries, which are one of the best things mankind has ever invented, and it was super good. Also I love the pfiercheschorle, which is a drink where you combine peach juice with sparkling water. It’s not too sweet and very refreshing.

After Dresden, we went to Sachsenhausen concentration camp. This concentration camp is about half an hour outside of Berlin and was used from 1936-1945 by the Nazis (but even after that by Soviets). I’ve always wanted to visit a concentration camp, which sounds really bad, but I think it’s an important part of history to review to understand how easy it can be to allow evil to run rampant if one does not stand up to it. Walking into the camp felt very surreal as your brain tried to comprehend the fact that thousands of people had been systemically killed in the same places you were standing. The grounds were relatively bare, even though verdant grass and trees surrounded the complex. Memorial gravestones for the cremated prisoners were placed around the edges of the complex by the walls, and they were covered with small, smooth stones that various people had placed in remembrance. The camp buildings were small, squat, and ugly, much like the kind of buildings you’d see at a crappy summer camp. Except for the entrance gate that boldly proclaimed “Arbeit machen frei” or “work makes you free”. An ironic phrase to put at the doors to one of the death camps, but Sachsenhausen was also one of the “model” camps shown to visiting dignitaries to show that Nazi Germany was putting useless citizens to useful work. We saw the medical barracks, the Jewish living quarters (even worse than everyone elses’ living quarters), and a huge Soviet memorial erected after the war. The memorial only has red triangles on it, which was the concentration camp patch for Soviets. So, even today, the focal point of the camp is drawn to this giant memorial, but we remember everyone that was subject to such torment. I’m really glad that I got to see the concentration camp and understand the terror of the Nazi era, but I don’t think I’d want to see another one. It’s the kind of place that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

 Ok, I have to work on laundry and real life now. Hopefully I'll be finishing up everything about Berlin soon and then I can talk about PRAGUE too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment