Sunday, July 14, 2013

Home Sweet Home!

I'm not sure what I expected when I landed back in Dallas, TX after spending four months abroad, but I will say that I definitely did not experience any of the "reverse culture shock" symptoms. I was able to pick things right back up from where I left off, and was studying for my MCAT my second day home. To be honest, I sometimes have a hard time believing I lived overseas at all. It just seems so surreal to me, how on earth could I have lived in another country for four whole months?! But scrolling through the hundreds of pictures that captured those priceless memories confirms that this adventure did in fact occur. I will never forget my time spent overseas, regardless if my memories seem like dreams, and I know I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. I could not have asked for better roommates, I'm not sure this trip would have been anywhere near as amazing without them. We had our little support group when times were difficult, and they were truly the best travel partners!

Landing in Frankfurt that first day, I honestly had no idea what to expect. I would like to say that I was fully prepared for everything that I experienced, but I would be lying if I did. There is no way to fully prepare to leave your friends, family, (and for me, my horse) for four months to live in a foreign country. But I feel like everyone felt the same way, a little nervous, a little excited, a little lost... but overall I feel like Bonn became like a second home. Words could not express how excited I was to leave on that last day, and how ready I felt to come home in those last few weeks, but now looking back, four months really wasn't very long at all. I realize as I jog around College Station, just how much I miss getting jog along the beautiful Rhein River, and being able to just walk to school. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having my car back!) People ask me all the time what it was like over there, and I really don't know what to say. No matter the words I use to describe it or pictures I show them, no one will truly understand. Did it have its ups and downs? Of course, everything does, but overall do I regret going? No. Not at all. I wouldn't trade my time over there for anything. Though when people ask me if I would do it again, to that I'm not so sure. Perhaps if I didn't have so much staked here in America, with my friends, family, and especially my horse, then of course I would without a second thought. At least with people you can communicate, but with Corona, I was forced to miss out on an entire four months of his life. When you're used to seeing someone or something everyday of your life, and suddenly you can't even drop by for 10 minutes to give him treats, it's very unstabling. So that fact alone, I don't think I could ever leave the country for that length of time ever again. (Unless of course, someone decided to send Corona with me! :D) But like Lauren said, I too, definitely have the travel bug. I am so grateful to have be able to see all of the countries I did, but there's so many more places I have yet to go! (And not just in Europe!) Living abroad provided me with so much more than just a cultural experience. I now know that I can successfully plan my own trips to other countries, and can navigate around without a problem! I am still so impressed with the people I met, and how nearly everyone (except my host mom of course haha) spoke English. Although my German is slowly fading, there are times where it still comes more naturally than Spanish for me. Academically this program was taught in a very effective way. I really enjoyed all of the professors that joined us, and loved the AIB staff! (Although I would NEVER reccommend that students should have SEVEN tests in their final week of school!)

The opportunities afforded to us as a group could not have been better, we were so blessed to be able to travel and see and do everything we have at such a young age; I can't thank my parents enough allowing me to embark on this unforgettable adventure. I remember thinking those four months would be the longest four months of my life, but looking back, they were by far the fastest and the most remarkable. To anyone that is considering studying abroad, I would highly encourage you to do it! There is no better way to learn than to experience things first hand, and living in Germany definitely provided just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment