Monday, March 7, 2022

Week 7 in Heidelberg

 Week 7 I spent the weekend in Heidelberg! This trip we took as a bmen girls trip. This town was one of my top places I wanted to visit coming into Germany. We booked an Airbnb that we knew would be in the older part of town but we were not aware that it would be the perfect location. The Airbnb was on the same street as the old bridge was really cool and made it extremely easy to find the house. We also were staying inside of some ones attic apartment which was also another unique experience. I will talk more about Heidelberg later but first I will discuss my week starting off with Monday.

On Monday, we started off with a normal day of class. Tuesday, we again had a normal day of classes. Wednesday, was again, another day of normal classes. Thursday, quite literally sucked. We had a physiology exam in the morning right before lunch. This exam was just draining. We then had yet another exam with a class in between this. This, was the absolute worst. This exam was much easier as it was a math exam and I find these much easier to study for. After this, me and Isabelle went to find comfort food at a Mexican restaurant. We then barely used any effort to try and dress as astronauts to go out in Bonn for Karneval. On Friday, we caught a morning train out to Heidelberg.

The train was the first train that I have been on to not have wifi. The train also was delayed multiple times. This normally is not much of a problem but our Airbnb host has given us some routes to be able to get to the Airbnb and by the time our train arrived, we were too late to get to all of them. We did end up catching a bus we found on our own. Arriving to the area and seeing the castle for the first time was mesmerizing. It was very cool how close the castle was to the town. We decided to head out and grab lunch and then go out to the old bridge. After we crossed, we descended some stairs down to the river bank and went for a walk along the bank. After, we decided we wanted to go to the palace gardens as it was a look out to the old town. This hike turned out to be short and beautiful. Isabelle compared it to the vibes of Taylor Swift's Evermore album. We stopped to take some cute pictures before heading up. We ended up going all around the castle grounds slowly exploring it. The day was nice and relaxing and exactly what I needed after the stressful week. We then went to a local brauhaus for dinner where I had sausage and a pretzel for dinner. The brauhuas was directly below our apartment. 

Saturday, we went to brunch which was the first brunch place I have been to in Germany. I got blueberry pancakes which where very good. We then went up to castle to go into the grounds. We got to go into a pharmacology museum which was relating to our lectures that Dr. Wasser had been giving us which was really cool. I thought it was cool to connect our class material to a museum we found on our own. After this, we headed down to try and find the university library since online it looked very pretty. Sadly, the library was under construction so we did not get to see it. We went in a little bit but a lot of the inside was also under construction. We then found a trail on the other side of the valley that lead to a well known lookout and some ancient theater ruins. At the ruins, we found a biergarten to go and eat in. We originally thought there was a bus that could take it down but it turned out we would have to go back down the trails. Worse, the waiter told us that wild hogs came out at night. We left the restaurant right at sundown and started to quickly descend down the hill. I, slightly buzzed on beer, forgot that I had the longest legs in the group and accidentally went a little bit too fast but the important part was that we got down and saw some pretty sunsets out over the newer part of the town. We then went back to the Airbnb and relaxed for the evening.

On Sunday, we headed back to Bonn. I should have had a more productive day than I did but I took a nap and did some laundry which was good. I then got ready for my next week and got a good amount of sleep that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment