Friday, May 8, 2015

cant think of title

The weekend after Easter break, I went to visit my cousin who lives in Stuttgart. Overall, Stuttgart was a very plain, dull city, but the Mercedes and Porsche museums are both located there were very interesting. Along with the two museums, we toured the beautiful Ludwigsburg Schloss, which was a palace that survived the war and contains many different types of architecture, including Baroque. Rococo, and Empire, however the tour we took was in German so I did not understand too much. Overall, it was nice just to visit with my cousin and relax rather than going crazy trying to see all the sights in a new city. 

Then, after a week of tests and classes, came the AIB charity weekend. The AIB hosted an international Big Event, similar to the one in College Station, and for that we broke up into small groups and went around Bonn, helping people clean or fix up their place. My group went to the NaturFreund children’s park, and pulled weeds, mowed the grass and fixed some benches. However, after we worked for a little bit, we just started to play with the things in the park like chickens, rabbits, and a zip line. The next day was the one I had been looking forward to but also dreading, because it was my birthday, but also the day of the Bonn Marathon. Earlier in the semester I had naïvely put my name down to run in the marathon, because it seemed so far away and I thought that I would have a lot of time to train. However, I am not a fan of running at all and just kept saying, “Oh I’ll start training this weekend,” and ended up at the marathon weekend and had only run once. I still participated in the race and surprisingly got through the 9k that I had to run, and actually had a lot of fun. 

It was back to business after one of my favorite weekends in Bonn, because we were heading to Aachen to present our sutureless anastomosis devices to enmodes. The presentations went very well, and afterwards we got a tour of the labs at the Helmholtz Institute, which was very cool. Then we were free to roam around the city of Aachen and toured a reliquary, the Aachener Dom and then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment