Thursday, May 2, 2013

I wasn't thinking, I was investigating


So since I'm the token radiological health engineer I was able to spend the day traveling to the Roentgen Museum. Not gonna lie, the entire train ride, I kept thinking this was my own personal version of a pilgrimage. I mean, I'm visiting the museum of the man who basically started my degree....
I woke up on Wednesday and made my way to Remsheid (the cutest little town a little north of Koln). Roentgen was born there so it seemed appropriate that the German Roentgen Society have the museum there. Once I arrived at the museum I visited with Dr. Busch who had worked in the medical physics field for about 20 years and then decided to dedicate his time to history and education. He was incredibly welcoming and was really passionate about medical physics. We chatted about the history of the museum, how the museum works (super hands on) and what he plans to do with the building in the future. Once we were done he set me loose in the museum with an awesome audio guide. It was my lucky day. I was one of the only people there. I think I read every piece of info and touched everything that could be touched. The first part of the museum was dedicated to his personal life and when he won the nobel prize. He seemed like a really fun person. He enjoyed hiking and nature and was generally curious about the world around him (I guess what every scientist has to be). And my favorite part, he always kept chocolates on his desk; we probably would have been best friends. Some of the rooms displayed his research equipment (one room had a replica of the device he used to physically prove maxwells equations). Then further into the museum, hundreds of machines were displayed. Gammatrons, betatrons, and a portable x-ray machine for military use. That's something I hadn't really thought about before but it was really useful to locate bullets. Instead of just guessing, the doctor would actually know where to look. Good for everyone. There was also a room dedicated to the infamous x-ray parties. Yes, in the early 1900s it was a fad to have x-ray parties. The rich would rent a machine and invite everyone they knew and they would all look at each others "insides". Now we know the consequences of this so we don't get to have fun parties like that. Owell! Once I was done paroosing the museum (I really felt like I was in a candy store, it was so fun) I met up with Dr. Busch to talk about my thoughts on the museum. He started to tell me about his plans to have an interactive iPad problem solving guide through the museum and also an x-ray lab for students. Cool stuff. Like I said, he's very passionate about education. After the museum he showed me the house Roentgen was born in, then walked me back to the train station. Such a good way to spend the day! I'd definitely recommend the museum to everyone. Soo if you're ever in Germany...

No comments:

Post a Comment