Sunday, July 1, 2018

Retrospective Post


I started 2018 over 5000 miles away from home, and the first four months of the year brought memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

I always knew I wanted to study abroad. It just seemed like a great idea to me. You get to travel and see the world, all while taking classes so you don’t get behind in school. My mom encouraged me to branch out and go on this adventure, no matter how scary it may have seemed at first.

When people found out I was going to Germany, they would ask if I was going with anyone that I knew. I’d tell them no and they would be surprised. You see, I was a very shy child growing up. I would barely talk to family. So people were dumbfounded when they learned that I was going to Europe with complete strangers. Was I nervous? You bet! But I am so glad that I didn’t know anyone because I was forced to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people. And through this study abroad experience, I met some of the greatest people and forged some amazing friendships.

Now that I am back in the States, people are constantly asking how my trip was. I tell them that it was amazing that I loved every second of it. I gladly tell them that I traveled to 8 different countries. I assure them that I really was taking classes and not just traveling. I tell them how much I love Germany and Bonn and how I cannot wait to go back. They ask me what my favorite part was and I honestly have not figured out the answer to that question yet. The whole semester was so amazing, from the time spent in Bonn to the time traveling to the wonderful people.

Of course I miss Bonn and Germany so much. I miss the convenience of public transportation, even though it could be a pain sometimes. I miss all the walking I did while we were over there. I miss the traveling. It was so easy to go to another country for the weekend. It also didn’t cost that much. I looked into flights to go to an away football game and it was crazy! So I definitely miss the cheap flights.

As soon as I got home, my parents and I went straight to a Mexican food restaurant. I'm a big fan of all the food my host family made and the other traditional German foods, but I really did miss the Mexican food. But more than that, I missed my parents and being home. It was really great to be back in my own room surrounded by familiar things. I also finally got to meet the puppy my mother got while I was gone. She is not 6 months old and she is a little maniac, but she's super cute so it's ok.

If anyone tells you there is no such thing as reverse culture shock, they are lying. I experienced this firsthand when my parents and I went shopping at Sam's Club. I just couldn’t get over how everything was sold in industrial size packages. I don't see why anyone needs that much of anything. It probably took me a solid week to get over it.

Things are getting back to normal now. I started working again right after I got back, which has helped me get back into the swing of things. It was nice to have a semester of not working, but I definitely missed it. It keeps me busy, which is what I need.

Looking back, I know that this experience has changed me. I look at everything differently now. I am more appreciative of the free water and free bathrooms. I am glad to have my car again and to be able to drive wherever I want, whenever I want. I also look for more adventure in my daily life now. I may not be able to take a bus to Belgium, but I can still enjoy the outdoors or explore a town I haven't explored before. I have definitely learned to be more open to trying new things. When you can't speak the language or know enough vocabulary, you really can't be picky, so I opened up to many more foods I probably never would've tried before. I am also less shy, because being thrown together with 30 strangers forces you to open up and make friends.

I am so glad to be home, but I am also so glad that I went on this study abroad experience. Everyone I speak to, I highly, highly advise them to study abroad during their college years. It is so worth it!











No comments:

Post a Comment