Sunday, July 1, 2018

Retrospective Post

Hello (one last time),

In this blog I am supposed to reflect on the 4 months I lived in Bonn, Germany. I will try my best to put in words how much this one decision has impacted my life.

First of all, I never imagined myself studying abroad. I first heard of this trip when one of my friends came back from Germany and encouraged me to look into it. I began researching scholarships for studying abroad, telling my friends and family, and constantly thinking of the "pros" that greatly outweighed the "cons". This crazy impulse of mine was becoming a reality.

I met a lot of people (and a cat named Trixie). I met Katja, Ralph, Larissa, Timo, and Martin. They welcomed me to their home and were so curious to learn about my Mexican roots. They cooked me amazing food and got me to stop being such a picky eater. They took me to German orchestra concerts, Sunday brunches, and Bonn flea markets. I met Dr. Wasser and the rest of the History of Medicine students.

I got to see a lot of cool places. I traveled to 9 different countries and experienced so many different cultures. I traveled with some of the coolest people I have ever met to some of the most amazing places. I will always remember the laughs made I had with my friends in the mean streets of Europe. Coming back to the US and realizing I couldn't just book a train ticket for a weekend trip was depressing.

Lastly, I made memories that will last a lifetime. I still remember walking an hour to class in the snow because my bus could not go up the hill to my neighborhood. I got to see the Paris lights from the top of the Eiffel Tower. I participated in the Bonn marathon in a relay team (I still don't know how I made it through that one).

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Although it was not always easy, studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made. I am now at end of my Hero's journey and I honestly can not wait for my next call to action.

To Dr. Wasser:
Thank you for being there for students and for offering this amazing opportunity. You are so appreciated!




Tschüss <3



No comments:

Post a Comment