Thursday, September 1, 2022

My Study Abroad Reflection

My study abroad experience was truly the Hero's Journey since being a part of the first program back in Bonn after the pandemic. The hardest part was deciding whether or not to actually go abroad and spend a whole semester away from friends, family, and everything I knew. I was sad about missing my family, friend's birthdays, ring dunks, and another semester in Aggieland. I didn't know anyone else in the program, so I took a leap of faith to live across the world for 4 months. Little did I know, the memories I made abroad were so much better than anything inside the bubble of College Station. The next hardest part was the adjustment period of being in a new country, with new people, and not knowing how to use the public transportation. And I was freezing cold. If I could go back and repack my suitcase, I would bring so many more sweaters and layers, and put back over half of my t-shirts and shorts. I got over my culture shock by realizing there is a different way to do everything and get the same results. Like hanging my laundry to dry, without a dryer machine. A lot of places are closed on Sunday, just like Chick-fil-A. After a few weeks of classes and getting to know my classmates, I became more comfortable living in Germany. I did not have a host family, so my apartment became the gathering place for my friends. We did everything together from studying to cooking dinner to traveling. Everything was new, so there were always new places to shop and eat at. I was constantly learning, whether I was in class, at a museum, or trying to read German. Traveling was easily my favorite part. I was able to see so many historical sights and famous art pieces, go on so many beautiful hikes, meet new people, and eat really good food with my new best friends. It was a learning curve trying to book trains and airbnbs, but it was definitely motivating to get my homework done. I discovered a new sense of freedom by living on a different continent as a young woman in college. I became more decisive and self confident, through trial and error. Literally trying new things to truly learn what I like and what I am passionate about. From my time abroad, I gained a larger world view to be more accepting and loving of people. I am so thankful for my time in Bonn and hope to return someday! 

- Katie Haley Class of 2023

  


No comments:

Post a Comment