Thursday, September 15, 2022

Reflecting on the best four months of my life!

 I can't believe almost five months have passed since I was living in Bonn. Although my time in Germany feels like a distant dream, the experiences and knowledge I gained will forever be a part of me. I went into my study abroad with very high expectations, and yet they were still blown out of the water. I got to see so many amazing sights, learn more than I could have imagined, and above all, I got to meet and connect with some truly amazing people. There was never a dull moment while living in Germany, even the challenges and struggles had a nuance that excited me and was appealing to my curious nature. Navigating through a foreign country, language, and culture, forced me as far out of my comfort zone as possible, and this was where the true learning took place.

After having some time to reflect, I have some clear takeaways from the various lessons I learned. I gained a profound ability to be flexible. From having little control over the food I was eating to traveling in a constant state of uncertainty from relying on public transportation, I was forced to accept whatever situation I encountered, and live in a constant state of focusing on what I could control and being at peace with the rest. The second and biggest thing that I learned, and something that has dramatically changed how I view myself and the people around me, is that people can live very differently and disagree on a majority of topics, and that is okay. I feel as though I have always had a very open mind toward other people, but living with a German host family allowed me to be introspective and open-minded about my own life and how I live. That the perception and standard I have built for myself isn't the only way I have to live, that there is an abundance of aspects to enjoy in life and that there is far more to experience than the comfort zone I naturally want to conform to. This was an unending lesson during my time in Germany, from speaking to my family about their values and morals to witnessing them first-hand, I had nothing but time and perspective to help me navigate my own desires and goals. And although some of my goals were even more reinforced, I am without a doubt considering a different life than I was before my study abroad. I now have a firm intention to return to Europe to live, either to work or go to graduate school, I feel that expanding on my short experience will benefit me more than I can explain. My perspective and opinions on people have also changed, as even while conversing with my best friends I've noticed that I have a new sense of patience and observation as opposed to quickly making assumptions and riding my opinions. 

Thankful doesn't do justice to how I feel about my time in Germany and how I benefit on a daily basis from the experiences I gained. I'm excited to resume that life and adventure that I miss so dearly, as well as use what I learned and experienced to continue to grow as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment