Sunday, April 3, 2022

Week ten, Erfurt and Frankfurt-ish

 Arrival into Erfurt was relatively smooth. Once we arrived, we located the baggage lockers so we knew that they would be there for later usage in the week. We then bought a short term city transport ticket and took a local tram to a stop near our Airbnb. Once we walked to our Airbnb, we tried both codes that we had been provided but neither code worked. We then called the owners of the apartment and they provided us with a new code to try which ended up working. We got up to the apartment where Brian we looked around at the beautiful views we could see all around us. My bed even had a window above it which I could look up out of and look out at the beautiful views of the sky. We then tried to go out to a sausage restaurant for dinner but they were all full. We then found a fire grill that we tried. It was very good but my dad was very sad that he did not get to try the other restaurant. We then went to go see the famous bridge (the Merchant's Bridge) in the town at night. Along the way, my mom found some shops she wanted to shop at the next day. The bridge is known for it's classic German looking houses built into it. It was interesting to see at night. We then went back to the Airbnb but stopped at Rewe on the way back to grab items for breakfast. I got an apple cake for dessert. It was quite good. I was going to shower that night but as I always do, I fell asleep.

The next day we headed out of the Airbnb and dropped our luggage off at the hbf. We then started our Journey to see more at Erfurt. We chose Erfurt because we wanted Brian to be able to experience a small town. I like to visit small towns because they make for nice day trips with beautiful sites. We started off by visiting the two churches that were right next to each other. They were up a long flight of stairs. The churches were both very different from each other. We then walked over to the fortress area which which was more like a flat area atop a hill. The walk up led us to an elevator with an outlook. The outlook led to some great pictures. We then walked around the fortress area for a while. After, we decided to go try the traditional sausage of Erfurt, Thuringian sausage. This was very good and I ended up eating two although I was a little cold. We then headed off to find a bakery for a dessert. We ended up stopping at two different ones as I did not want anything from the first. Then, we went to go to the bridge that we had seen last night but this time to see it in the day light. We got to walk under the bridge this time which was cool also. We then found the shops that my mom had looked into from the night before and we went into them. A lot of them were hand made crafts and such. My mom bought something for her mother and a cat figurine for her own collection. I then went to a gummy store and bought some sour strips. We then went off to find another church to go into before it started to rain. After this we went to the Anger museum. The museum housed old artifacts and art ranging over the years. We then headed to the hbf and grabbed a snack there. Our train was delayed to Frankfurt so we sat in the waiting area. We then boarded the train and headed to Frankfurt hbf. Once there we took an S-bahn to our Airbnb where we stayed in for the night.

The next morning, my dad headed to the airport and retrieved a manual car. We went to show my brother the castle that all of my siblings have been brought to. The castle is called Burg Ronneburg. Normally the castle has two peacocks roaming it but they apparently do not come out until May which I was quite sad about. After we finished exploring it, we bought a few items in the gift shop that were so cheap they blew my mind. We then headed to Gelnhausen to meet my Dad's cousin. We had lunch before meeting her and then we walked around the town. We saw the town which was where she went to grade school. We then went by her son's place so we could go by my Oma's home town, Neuses. It is a very small town. We showed it to my brother as it was my second time there and also saw my dad's other cousin. I got some really good apple strudel ice cream. After this, we went to a restaurant that overlooked the town that all of my siblings had been to and Brian was the last to go. We met up with even more family once we got there. I really do not even know how they were all related to me. We then headed home for the night.

This brings us to the morning Brian left. At 8am, my dad drove Brian to the airport to go back home and dropped off the car. My mom and I got ready and waited for my dad to get back before we headed to the hbf. Once we got to the local platform, we discovered our S-bahn was delayed because of a problem on the track and it would not be running for a while. We had to rush to the airport so we took a taxi. Once in the taxi, the DB does as it always does best and delayed our train so we did not even need to do that but it was okay. We got to the station and snacked on a pretzel before heading to Wurzburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment