Thursday, July 11, 2019

Danke Deutschland!

Hallo! Not my first time speaking German this summer. I say a few words here and there, just to keep it fresh!

It's hard to believe that it's been six weeks since my study abroad program ended. Only a few months ago, I was having the most incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. I learned so much, visited various places, made amazing friends, and grew as a student and adult.

Being back in the US in general:

When I first landed in the US, I was so excited to see my family and finally be able to read signs! Though this may seem silly, it was nice to know what things around me truly said. Nevertheless, I appreciated being around so many languages in Europe. I really loved being able to travel for a few hours and land in a different country. Of course, most of my time was in Bonn. It didn't take long in either Germany or the US to realize how different Germans are from Americans. To be brief, Germans are very straightforward and honest; however, this did not come off as rude. In fact, my host family were some of the nicest people I've ever met. They always made me feel welcomed and cared for. :) While in Europe, I learned so much about its history; I enjoy sharing what I've learned with my family and friends. In addition, it's nice to be able to drive my own car. However, I didn't mind taking public transportation; in fact, I enjoyed that it was so accessible and better for the environment. Although it was quite a walk to my tram everyday in Germany, I do miss having that time to reflect on my day and enjoy the scenery. 🌼🍃

With respect to school:

This semester, I learned a lot more than I ever could have in a classroom. It's one thing to learn something in class and another to learn it in the real world, looking at what's being discussed. When we had normal classes, I really liked being at the old AIB -- our small program and the aged German building added to the experience abroad. Coming into the program, I didn't know what excursions were going to be like. Simply put, they were above and beyond my expectations!

I experienced and addressed stress in a different way. Normally, I have class until 4 PM (latest) and spend my night at the library. Likewise, I'm either studying and/or volunteering on the weekends. As I did well in school, this is what worked for me and what I thought was necessary. However, I quickly discovered that this routine was not possible abroad. I did not always have as much time as I would have liked on certain days, whether it was because my genetics class ended at 9 PM, day(s) long excursions, weekend travel, or Enmodes work. Knowing my semester was going to be busy, I used these time restraints as an opportunity to grow. Not only did my time management and studying skills improve, but so did my confidence. Using the time and materials I had, I approached each exam and challenge with optimism. In all, I'm proud that I was able to finish this semester with a 4.0 and a new way of approaching my education.

Final thoughts:

I am so happy and blessed to have had the opportunity to study in Bonn. I never thought I would have had the chance to experience so much in such little time, especially during my time at Texas A&M University. The Biosciences program exposed me to many things -- biomedical sciences in and outside of the classroom, history of Europe, dedicated mentors, beautiful landscapes, a wonderful host family, and great friends. It helped me become a more confident and independent adult. I can't wait to see what adventures are ahead!

Danke Deutschland! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment