Monday, July 1, 2019

Danke Deutschland


Germany feels like a lifetime ago and just yesterday. Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I'm becoming one of those study abroad people with all the clichés. But, I feel truly like Europe changed me. Or maybe I should say the Europeans and my fellow travelers changed me.


Most Germans are very straight forward people. They do not beat around bush and ,if asked, they will probably tell you the straight up truth. But, don't take it personally! No, seriously. They mean nothing by it and if you are honest with them they won't take it personally either. I found myself in a car with Germans talking about politics (American and German) which for me is huge. I am a huge conflict avoider and politics always seems to cause heated debates. However, the Germans (at least the ones I met) would debate but would still like each other even after the debate was heated.  I felt free like my friendship to them wasn't based on whether I shared the same views but on the fact that I was me. This was a turning point. I realized that vocalizing my opinion and forming my own opinion (not theirs) was something not only accepted but actively encouraged by Germans. Little by little my fear of speaking my opinion hurting friendships is beginning to chip away.


I also met a large international community in Bonn. I met people from India, Angola, Kenya, Russia, Poland, South Korea, Jamaica, and Columbia. The Germans and many people in these international communities spoke multiple languages (three or more conversationally). To say the least, I was very impressed. However, if they can learn to do it, I can learn to do it to. Wish me luck on learning more German! 


To all my fellow Aggies I went on this trip with me, thank you from the bottom my heart. You have no idea how much even the smallest of gestures affected me. Thank you for inviting  me to be part of your group during the intercultural workshop project, for asking me if I was ok on the days I wasn't, for running with me through the woods, for making me laugh on days when homework threatened to bury us alive, for being my bodyguards/big brothers when I traveled, for welcoming my twin sister, for a late night talk over burgers in Brussels, for walking and talking with me on the Rhine the day that I cried, for making me laugh at the base of the Eiffel tower with your interesting theory, for helping me on any and every homework assignment, for keeping me calm on our crazy 14 hour adventure back to Bonn from Prague, for complimenting my fro in Vienna, but, most of all, I want to thank you all for taking the time to know and accept me for who I am. One of my biggest insecurities is that people will like the real me with all of my quirks, my differences, and my weirdness. But ,you all wanted to get to know the real me. You all showed me by treating me with kindness that every "weird" or "different" thing about me is not something to be ashamed of but to be proud of. I can't even express how liberating and empowering that is. Never stop being the kind, smart, amazing, funny, talented, adventurous, smiling Aggies you are. You don't know how much just being yourself has impacted me. I thank God that He put each of you in my life.  Love you all to Bonn and back … and back to Bonn again!


Future students, breathe every second of this adventure in. Go on weekend adventures, become friends with new amazing people. Relish the moments when you look out over the Rhine, when you smell the scent of fresh bread in the streets of Bonn,  when you hear amazing performers on a corner, or the stillness of the streets when you catch an early morning train. Laugh at yourself when you give Hilde the wrong answer during German class or when you manage to embarrass in front of a cute European guy. Be a proud inhabitant of the vastly superior OLD AIB and grow found of the familiar train you take home each day. Be grateful for the difficult moments. The moments where classes were stressing you out, you were crying, or simply wanted to go home because it is in these times you will find your closest friends. Live every moment in gratitude for this wonderful dream your living. It will be over all too soon.



Danke Deutschland. You have been a place of memories. A blessed land where beautiful friendships have grown and blossomed. You will always hold a special place in my heart. Ich liebe dich.

2 comments: