Saturday, May 12, 2012

Berlin Recap


Dr. Wasser, this is one long post for the final week of the program in Berlin.

So the program is officially over, most people have flown home, and I am currently making my way across Europe.  I am meeting up with Joanna, Austin, and Andrea in Paris soon but for the moment I am completely on my own in Brussels.  It is certainly a big change, going from being with 17 of your friends constantly to being surrounded by strangers speaking a mix of French and Dutch. I know absolutely no French, but thankfully a lot of things are in English around here. 

The last five days of the program were spent in Berlin.  It was a nice time, minus the whole sleep deprivation thing, but it was a little sad to realize these were my last four days in Germany for a long time.  The first day was a bike tour of the city, which lasted 3.5 hours! Remember that whole sleep deprivation thing? Yeah…I actually preferred it to walking tours though.  You got to see more things, rest your feet riding a bike instead of standing, and you got a cool squeaky toy to play with.  This was a good day to get an overall impression of the city, which I will honestly say at first was not that great of one.  Despite the interesting buildings and historical places that I was seeing I couldn’t bring myself to really like the city.  Vienna had been beautiful, Munich rich in architecture, but Berlin? It almost looked used and unplanned.  Eventually it dawned on me that what makes Berlin so special is the history and all that it signifies.  The memories of the war and the wall are everywhere in the city, from the people to the wall remnants, to the partially reconstructed buildings.  After this realization my overall impression of Berlin improved and I began to enjoy my time there. 

We did so many things during our time there.  We visited Sachsenhausen, the concentration camp, Otto Bock, the Charite hospital, Dresden, the zoo, and many other places.  We got to try the Döner and currywurst for which Berlin is renowned, enjoyed a splendid dinner of Moroccan food, and got dressed up for the Opera.  I really enjoyed all of these, except perhaps the Charite Museum tour; I was so exhausted it was hard to focus.  I will expand on a couple of my favorites and then call it a day.

The concentration camp was depressing, as you might expect, but it was one of those things you had to do.  It is completely different being at the actual site instead of just reading about it in a book.  Seeing the outlines of the buildings used by the Nazis and the left over soviet monuments made it so real.  The part that brought it really real for me however was seeing the ruins of the “exit gate”.  Even though this was not a death camp, they still had a small gas chamber and such.  Parts of the walls were still standing and you could see where the floor had been bulldozed.  It was not covered in grass and made you realize how all of these atrocities were committed not too long ago, and it brings the happenings back to the present.


This entire trip has been making me rethink my chosen profession.  Not in a bad way, but for a slightly-stubborn girl like me who has known she wanted be a biomedical engineer and do medical research/get her PhD since 9th grade, it is frustrating to be confused.  After witnessing the operations in Bonn and working with medical training dummies in Berlin (whoop for correct intubating on the first try J ) I am starting to want to go for an MD as well.  My mind keeps going from MD/PhD to just PhD to nursing school to hospital volunteer and back again.  Then again, visiting the Otto Bock Health and Science center and enjoying Biosolid mechanics this semester make me want to go into mechanics and industry.  I guess I should be happy that I am in a major where I can do so many cool things, and that I at least know what major I want to be.  The good news is I still have time to decide what degrees I want to get, but I have a lot of thinking to do. 

I especially enjoyed the tour of Dresden.  I had actually wanted to visit sometime during the semester and never gotten the chance, so I am really glad we went.  We had a walking tour, so my feet did hurt a lot by the end, but seeing the city was well worth it.  Seeing the pictures of before and after the bombing really brought home the destruction that took place in this town.  What I especially liked though was how during the reconstruction the city has used the old ruins that are left of the buildings.  For example, the church was just a few fragments of wall and some extra stone, but they rebuilt it completely, using the wall fragments and stones when they could.  It gave it a Dalmatian effect but one you realize why the stones look so odd you are simply in awe of the church.  Having a guide who lived through the war offered an interesting perspective on the city.  I also got to try potato pancakes which were delicious.

Lastly, I loved going to the opera.  It was a chance to get all dressed up and go out with everyone for one last time.  Unfortunately the opera was in Italian and the subtitles in German, so I didn’t get a whole lot of what was said, but between Dr. Wasser’s preparation, the acting, and my limited vocabulary I was able to pick up on what was going on.    After that it was back to the hotel for last-minute packing and a few hours of sleep before I had to be up to catch a train.

It was sad to say goodbye to everyone, but luckily most of us will have a lot of the same classes for the next two years so it shouldn't be too bad.  Mostly I am excited to be out traveling on my own and looking forward to seeing my family in a week

No comments:

Post a Comment