Sunday, May 6, 2012

Last week of class


Well, finals week is over.  So are classes, and studying, and stress (at least until we get back to summer jobs and the like).  I am not sure I have ever been more glad to be done with finals.  Sure it wasn’t quite as stressful as a normal finals week back in College Station as far as preparing for a lot of exams, but packing up my suitcase again and trying to take care of all of the little things for the trip home was pretty stressful. 

As much as I miss home and cannot wait to be back, I cannot help but think about how much I am going to miss Germany.  I wasn’t feeling too sad until Thursday night when I was packing up everything to take with me to Munich and Berlin.  We were celebrating my host aunt’s birthday/having my last dinner and my host mom cooked some delicious home-made veal Asian dumplings.  True to my normal style, I ended up dropping a few in the soy sauce and splattering everything by accident but at least this time we had some napkins J.  After having my last dinner with the family, we took some pictures and then it was time to finish up packing.  I finished with some time to spare and managed to jot down a few recipes from my host mom for her potato salad and apfelstreusel.  I am excited to try and make them at home but I’m going to have to convert it all from grams to cups.  It was sad standing in the living room looking out at the garden for the last time.  The kids said goodbye before heading to bed and I gave my host mom the thank you card that I had written her.  She helped me to the bus stop and gave me a hug and then I was on my way!
My awesome host family

I met up at AIB with Austin, Joanna, Cameron, and Katie and we entertained eachother with funny stories and imitations.  Finally it was time to go to the train station where we said our last goodbyes and boarded the night train to Munich. I was very sad to see Bonn go.  It almost feels like a second home now. One day I will make it back, I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment