Sunday, June 24, 2018

Germany COME BACKKKK

    Upon getting back to the US I have noticed a huge difference in recycling. Sure I was like yeah we don't recycle but gosh never even thought at how much we don't recycle. I was throwing away a container and was like first off the recycle bin is an extra 30 feet away, I don't know if this is recyclable and if the last little bit of food was fine to leave in the container. Before the trip I would have been like eh and thrown it right there and then but haha I was like not this time and was like for Germany.

     Gosh I miss it, I loved how we could just feel free to travel wherever on days like today. Instead I'm going to a job and doing classes and so scared if I leave I'll never come back. I've noticed that I have calmed down a bit more and found myself feeling a bit more secure which wasn't what I was expecting. I don't mind doing chores as much as I used to but studying is really hard to start again (some things never change). I've discovered that I can do more stuff in a day then I thought before. For instance I work up a decent time today, went to class, worked out, did some homework, relaxed a bit, doing some more homework, probably start up another hobby here in a minute, go to work, and then probably do something nice tonight. It's funny how when you barely have anything going on the day seems so short but once you throw in a few things to look forward to the days seem a lot longer.

    One of the biggest things I miss about Germany was being really close to friends, like everyday we were doing something and I will be the first to state that I had second feelings about that in the moment, but looking back I've realized that it was refreshing to make solid friendships that I can count on at any moment in time. I hope these friendships last a lifetime because when you find people you can respect and trust it makes life a lot easier and happier. So here's a shout out to the Germany crew!!

    Another aspect I've noticed that I believe I've changed in is I'm more patient with people then I was before. I know I haven't been the best at patience and probably still have a long way to go. I just feel like I've taken a step in the right direction and hope to continue walking that way. A couple of people have helped me with that and I know it's taken time but I hope they see my progress and don't give up on me. It's funny, I think one of the biggest learning curves for me was not learning the new material (definitely a big one), not figuring out how to get around, not figuring out the language, but figuring out how I belong in the group and how I get along with people. So I have learned a lot of social cues but still have a lot more to learn and I would say that has been one of my biggest growth points in my life.

    Once again, I do want to show my appreciation of the program and Dr. Wasser, Romi, my host family, and the AIB staff. Thank you so much, and I hope to see y'all soon!

Frieden!!



No comments:

Post a Comment