Friday, July 11, 2014

Home sweet Germany

Well I've only been back in the states for almost two weeks. That was because my host family practically begged me to stay (actually I think it was more like actual begging). Now I am back in my very own living room instead of theirs to write my last blog entry.
Germany was the most amazing experience of my life so far. That is the simplest way to sum it up (no amount of me babbling on and on could really do it justice) I have to say that the best part of the trip was my host family (sorry professors). They went way above and beyond my wildest expectations of what could happen once I arrived in Germany. By the end I was very much a part of their family, their American daughter. It was very hard to leave them all and now I miss them terribly.
But on to the fun stuff, I saw more of the world in 6 months than I thought was possible. Of course we went to the touristy cities in the nearby countries such as Rome, Brussels, and Paris, but I think it was the "not so special places" that truly made the experience. Without the trips to little unknown towns and villages I wouldn't have gotten the true feel of Germany or felt like I was a resident instead of just another tourist. By the end of the trip I felt that Germany was my home.
The study abroad experience is definitely not about the classes. Even though we got to do some cool and interesting things in class, the true value and joy of study abroad is exploring a new country and learning how to adapt and fit in to the culture. I think that I got the most possible out of this trip and well now its time to figure out how soon I can get my butt back to Germany and other countries around the world. This trip has opened up possibilities of working around the world that I would never have considered before. Back to Texas and Mexican food for a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment