Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Back in the Lone Star State


It has been about 2 months since I have left Germany and it still has not sunk in yet that I spent an entire semester abroad. I get brief moments when that thought kind of sinks in, but I think it will take awhile for me to fully appreciate how incredible of a semester it was. Man was it an incredible semester. You think that four months abroad in a new place might seem like forever but when you are super busy with traveling, school, and experiencing a new culture you will be surprised how fast time flies. I remember debating for weeks about whether I should go abroad and all the concerns, worries, and fears that crossed my mind when trying to make a decision. Let me tell you now, all of those worries I had beforehand seem silly and I definitely didn't need to worry about them. And I beyond glad I decided to go because this was a once in a lifetime experience that I will cherish for years to come. I got to go to 7 different countries (partly thanks to the Mediterranean cruise a group of us went on during Spring Break), made lifelong friends, saw many interesting medical facilities/museums along the way, and gained a better understanding of different cultures in Europe. All of that happened in one semester...that's just incredible.

Don't get me wrong, the trip wasn't always rainbows and butterflies. Of course I missed my family, friends, and Texas while I was abroad. And then there are the little things you miss that you never thought you would: free bathrooms, Mexican food, free water, having your car (public transit there is great but I missed being able to come and go whenever I pleased and not having to plan around the train schedule), etc. I'll admit I was getting home sick the last couple of weeks of the program and I was very happy to be back home. But we were so busy with new and exciting things throughout the semester it took me longer than I expected to get home sick. That's another thing, you're super busy and there are a lot of distractions. Traveling is exhausting at times and I suggest you plan your personal trips ahead of time (especially Spring Break) so you see as much as possible or else you might wonder around a new city not sure how to get back to your hotel at 2 in the morning. Back to the topic of distractions, there is so much to do and I say you go experience the culture and events as much as possible. But you have to remember you're abroad for school as well. Staying focused and on top of your work is pretty challenging with all the distractions. And the grades are not going to be handed to you either. Plus the school schedule varies quite a bit throughout the semester. We wouldn't have class or work due for a week or so while we travelled and then had to play catch up the following week.  Those catch up weeks were stressful, but I knew that would be the case going into the semester so I was fine with it. With all of this in mind, the semester school-wise is definitely doable and manageable. Even though it was stressful certain weeks and we would have to cram work in, overall I found it to be one of my better semesters as far as the amount of work and stress that went into school goes.

Okay, enough of that. Time to focus on the positives which in my opinion outweigh the negatives. I'll start with some basics. The food is DELICIOUS. If you go, you'll understand just how yummy it is because I can't really put it into words. Another thing I can't describe is how beautiful all the places are. I found myself in awe of the beauty and rich history that surrounded me on various occasions. Definitely go see as many places as you can but don't rush your trips either. Trust me, it's worth it. Plus it's an awesome feeling when you turn on the TV and see a place you've been to (I've said "Oh, I've been there!" tons of times these past 2 months). Also, I really enjoyed being in a country that truly appreciated soccer and where I could find people playing almost everywhere I went. However I gained more from this program than just yummy food and pretty scenery. I got to experience multiple cultures first hand and observe the similarities and differences between them and what I was used to in the United States. Some of the differences I liked and some I didn't, but it's nice to truly know the characteristics of different cultures instead of relying on stereotypes. I also think I grew up and learned more about myself. Throughout the semester I was put in new situations where I had no idea what to do and the freedom to pick whatever I felt like I should do. Situations like that tend to bring out your true personality and force you to make your own, adult decisions. I don't think I would have gained that much insight if I had stayed in Texas for the semester simply because I wouldn't have been placed in such new circumstances that were out of my comfort zone. I'm thankful I was able to gain that insight and experience before I graduate and have to face the real world for a longer time than just four months. The final positive I want to mention (because I really could keep going) is one that some of my classmates have already mentioned: the great friendships you make over the course of those four months. You will learn a lot about the people who study abroad with you because you see them almost everyday, travel with them on several occasions, and are placed in unique scenarios that you must work together and/or trust each other. And like what some of the others have said, no one quite understands what you have been through like your fellow study abroad classmates. I'm happy to say that I have come back home with many more close, lifelong friends who I can't wait to see again in the fall!

I honestly don't think this post does the past semester justice, but hopefully it shows that I truly enjoyed the semester and that my decision to go on this study abroad program was the right choice. After going on this program and realizing how much I gained and experienced, I highly suggest that people study abroad at some point during their college careers (if possible, of course). So if you're considering going abroad, do it. It'll be an unforgettable semester filled with a lot of great memories.

Now all that is left to say is thanks for the great semester, Germany. Auf Wiedersehen (for now)!

No comments:

Post a Comment