Saturday, July 4, 2020

Two months later

Well, it has been a strange three or so months since I returned home from Germany in March, and it has been an even stranger two months since the program officially ended. Once we finished the Enmodes projects, I felt that I had a wealth of free time to finally do the things I have been too busy to accomplish. Sadly, I spent the month of May playing videogames. That is really all I did. I remember very little from that month since there really is not much to remember. June was a bit more eventful, as my parents finally got sick of my shit and demanded I get a job. My biomedical internship got cancelled, so I decided to find work doing the next best thing: packing panties in a lingerie warehouse. From the beginning to the end of June, I woke up at eight each morning to pick out lingerie and pack them in small cupboards to be shipped nationwide. This truly was a learning experience, as I had never realized how many people wore male thongs and other strange assortments of dicey clothing. I had to leave my dream job after a month when one of my coworkers contracted Covid. During June, I also partook in a technical business writing class. I am thankful I took that class over the Summer, as the coursework was definitely less of burden than it would have been had I took the class over the Fall semester. I am now taking an online chemistry lab (it really does not work too well as an online course) and a BMEN class. Both classes are alright, but I definitely found our courses in Germany to be much more interesting. Honestly, the only enjoyable thing I have done since my stint at the panty warehouse is binge six seasons of House, but even that is starting to get a bit old.
I feel that my time in Europe really opened my eyes to how much fun being adventurous can be. Before Germany, I never really left my comfort zone. I honestly just wanted to hang with my friends at a house. I now realize that if I live like that, there are so many opportunities I will miss out on. I was considering backing out of the Germany program a few months before we departed because I was too nervous about not really knowing anyone on the trip. I am glad I decided to go, because I made great friends and got to experience so many things that I otherwise would not have gotten to experience. Although I have not really been able to get out of my comfort zone recently due to the mass spread of a worldwide pandemic, a few of my friends and I are planning to go sky-diving soon, which is definitely not something I would have considered doing six months ago. Those two and a half months were some of the best of my life, and I cannot wait someday return to Europe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment