Saturday, July 4, 2020

Final Post

After getting settled back into the U.S. and finishing my last semester of school, I finally had free time to do some reflecting on my time in Germany. While it took some time to appreciate my time in Germany and Europe for what it was instead of what it was not, I am grateful for all the things I learned about other cultures, adapting to new environments and having patience.

Right now I am living in Austin, starting in a new role at a the hospital I work at and finishing up my last couple of medical school applications. Getting settled back in Austin, I have found establishing the community of friends and family I used to have growing up here has been a lot slower of a process due to social distancing. However, I have found that the patience I learned to have while abroad, and through coming home unexpectedly, has made this acclimation much easier. This patience has also been useful as I have been completing the series of my medical school applications. While I am nearly done with my applications, I will not know anything for quite some time. As I train for my new job at the hospital, I have also been challenged to help cover for the person who schedules all of the pre-surgical testing. However, due to the recent changes in protocol caused by the pandemic, every patient that is going to have anesthesia is required to get COVID-19 tested within 3 days of their procedure. This means that we have to schedule for our regular surgery patients along with the electrophysiology, endoscopy, radiology, cath lab and labor and delivery patients. We also are challenged with the constantly changing restrictions put on elective surgeries in Travis county. In this way I have been able to use the things I have learned about patience and adapting to new environments from my time abroad in Germany. 

Seeing how much I grew while I was abroad, I am inspired to continue challenging myself so I can grow in other ways. I am so thankful I got to utilize my last couple of months before the quarantine period traveling and immersing myself into other cultures and look forward to a time when I am able to do that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment