Sunday, July 5, 2015

Final Reflection

Since yesterday was the Fourth of July, I have been especially aware that I'm living in the United States of 'Merica lately. I also realized that I have the privilege of being aware of my location compared to alternatives because not that long ago, I wasn't living in the US and the vast majority of people never have the opportunity to be so aware of this fact because they have never known anything different.

Upon my realization that I have a unique opportunity to reflect upon living in what I believe to be the greatest country on Earth, I also am reflecting on how incredible it was that so recently, I was immersed in a culture and location so different.

It would be very easy for me to just dwell in sadness and longing for the idealized life I lived last semester. In retrospect, everything was wonderful and happy and I had the best time of my life. I of course feel a portion of sadness that time has passed and that wonderful period of my life has come to a close, but I'm trying to focus on how wonderful my life is here in Texas and just appreciate the experiences I had and things I learned last semester.

I learned the following things:

1) I am a strong, independent woman that needs no significant other or male counterpart in order to function successfully. Actually, I can do much more than just function successfully by myself, but I can find deep joy and satisfaction in life by myself.

2) I am capable of being a competent and confident traveler anywhere in the world.

3) I have no reason to be intimidated by other's apparent intelligence and I should not be afraid to ask for help from people.

I'm sure I learned so much more than I realize right now and I look forward to continually realizing and appreciating my broadened perspective.

It's crazy to think about the time right before I left for Germany, which was more than 6 months ago, I had actually decided I didn't want to go. I was so scared to leave my boyfriend and family that I seriously considered canceling and honestly would have if there wasn't large financial loss. Looking back, I was not wrong or pathetic to be afraid, it was a reasonable reaction. I was brave to a certain extent though and I am sooooooo thankful that I pushed through and didn't dwell on my fear of loneliness. I don't know where I would be if I had decided to cancel the trip, but I am sure that I am in a better place in life than I was before the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment