Monday, August 4, 2014

Not a Dream

Wow. That's really all I can say about my study abroad in Germany. It was absolutely amazing to discover a whole new world out there that I had never seen before and to realize that I can survive in the real world by my self. Although the classes were a little difficult and there were times filled with drama (what 18 person group constantly forced together wouldn't have some drama?) overall I had a great time getting to know my fellow travelers. Going to so many different places was amazing and I find myself constantly telling a story about that one time in Paris, or a funny story about Berlin. Frankly, some of my friends have told me that they're fed up with so many stories, but it's all so cool I just can't stop.

But I didn't only learn about the world and my classes. I also learned about myself. I've noticed that I'm much more confident and loose where before I was hesitant and stuffy. It was surprising to come back to my friends and have them realize that there's so much more to me than what they've previously seen, and unfortunately I feel like I'm stuffed in a too tight box when I talk to some of my old high school friends who don't realize that I've grown as a person. Beyond that, I've discovered that I don't need to rely on anyone to do what I like and other's opinions shouldn't matter because there will always be other people who will accept me for who I am. On the other hand, a lot of my friends are excited with my transformations and we plan to have a lot of fun this upcoming year.

Going abroad has been an amazing experience and I've discovered so many new things (I mean, I wrote a 300 page blog about it on www.erinzstravels.blogspot.com throughout my time here. If that doesn't say something about the trip, nothing does) I would do it again in a heartbeat and encourage others to do the same. I've grown so much and gotten close to so many people, that it just makes sense. When else will you ever get a chance like this? And true friends will be right there when you get back ready to listen to all your stories. The whole trip seems like a dream, and at times I would look at my surroundings and wonder "Is this my life right now?" But what I've gained has stuck around long past when I would wake up and I know that it happened, and I couldn't be more happy.

Signing off,
Erin Z

No comments:

Post a Comment