Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ending Blog


There are many strong feelings that I have towards study abroad. It really has impacted my life in the most positive of ways and the culture that I learned to love will always remain apart of who I am. During my stay in Europe I took huge advantage of the traveling opportunities that were at my fingertips. I traveled to Paris, the French Alpes, Barcelona, Budapest, Vienna and so on. And while traveling I learned little aspects of each culture, picked up some terms, and really lived my life to the fullest, never missing out on any experience. Not only did travel, but I developed friendships with germans that were around my age. This was my favorite aspect of studying abroad! We made these friendships because we got out of our comfort zone and asked “sprichst du englisch?” and it turned out to be the best decision that my friend and I made while abroad. As it ends up we hanged out with these people a couple times a week. They taught us so much about the language, the places to go and things to do. They showed us the best time while in Germany and made my experience the best time in my life. By befriending people your age while abroad they will be your guide in having the greatest time. It is something that I highly suggest do, and do not be afraid of approaching people and trying to develop a relationship. They love Americans, and essentially all speak good English
By studying abroad I learned a lot about the world and it made me realize the imperfections in our society. By living in Germany it made me question the American culture and why we didn’t do things like Germany. For instance, public transportation should really be instated in every city. It made getting around much more convenient. But after awhile I really missed driving my car. Also by being abroad it made me really appreciate Texas. What I came away with that I find most important is that I am so much more dependent on myself. I learned really good habits that really made me more responsible and not as careless about things. So not only did I learn a lot of culture, but I also learned how to not lose important items. Haha.
In all, studying abroad to Germany has been the best decision I have made thus far and I do not take back anything. I have came away with it amazing friends from around the world and friends here in College Station. But the most important aspect of studying abroad I believe is that I came away with a whole new me. Living abroad changes your views and outlooks, but it molds you into a much more diverse and interesting character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment