Monday, August 20, 2012

Post Trip Blog

Okay, so this post might be a little later than expected. But it's given me plenty of time to reflect on my experiences in Germany and how they've affected me. I spent the summer interning in Austin, which has to be one of the coolest cities I've ever been to (yes, including the places we traveled to in Europe). The city is so alive and active, and the people are some of the most interesting I've met. However, before moving back to Texas I thought I was special because I lived abroad for four months. Most of the people that I met either travelled for an prolonged period of time or lived in other countries during the course of their life. I met a journalist who went to Thailand to write about the tribal music played during Muay Thai fights, and he had way more interesting stories from his journey than mine. He also seemed a lot more down to earth than some of the folks I met who hadn't seen other parts of the world. There seems to be some kind of switch that clicks on when one experiences other cultures. I like it. I noticed a change in my habits. I'm hardly ever on facebook, watching tv, or doing something unfulfilling anymore. I seem to invest and engage myself more into life - going to parks, riding bikes, meeting people etc. I also noticed that I don't excessively indulge in alcohol as much (credit the lessons learned during Karneval) yet I have an expensive taste for beer. I have a better appreciation for people and their stories and find myself pursuing more personal relations rather than pursuing activites. Living abroad has definitely opened up my mind to a myriad of thoughts and ideas, and broken preconceptions that I previously held. I would suggest it to anyone. So, I guess to wrap things up. I don't feel special for living abroad. There's plenty of other people who've done it. My host sisters were abroad in New Zealand for 5 months before we arrived in Germany! I do think it's a shame that a lot of Americans don't see other parts of the world. However, one can experience different cultures right here in the US. Laid back west coast vs. southern hospitality vs. fast-paced New York City life. One could look at life as an accumulation of experiences. I believe that the quality, and frequency of those experiences directly relates to the sense of having lived life. I would encourage others to turn off the video games, get off the internet, go outside and live! Save a little bit of money from every paycheck and go somewhere you've never been before. Don't conform to the life of a drone! I don't feel special for living abroad, I feel changed. My only regret from living abroad, is not staying abroad longer. Cheers! Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment